Dupioni silk suiting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by taffy, Jun 28, 2016.

1. taffy

taffy Active Member

Which mills/merchants offer pure dupioni silk suiting fabric?

[​IMG]

2. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I have Dupioni by Scabal and Loro Piana. There may be other merchants, but those two are enough for me for such a niche fabric.

3. taffy

taffy Active Member

does it wear hot or cool?
    What seasons would it suit well?
    How does it wrinkle/crease?

4. David Reeves

I have never made one for myself or a client but I am seriously thinking of doing one for myself. I imagine it would be more of a spring suit or something you could wear more formally in the evening all year round. What I have would probably wear too hot for late summer and too delicate and light for fall/ winter, I wouldn't want to get rain on it.

Wrinkling and creasing shouldn't be too bad, I have a 100% silk suit and many other suits with silk in them and they have very good "memory retention" especially for the weight. Wont be the same as a tweed or a heavy Lesser but should hold up pretty well.

Its rather expensive cloth especially for something of fairly limited use, my chrome looking zegna silk suit is rather nice but I don't wear it often, just too scary. Its too dressy and nice for everyday but by the same token I wouldn't want to wear it at a big party......maybe a christening or communion really is the place to wear it.

The dupioni I have from Scabal is particularly beautiful but it doesn't look like Michaels', his has two colors in it, these are solid colors.

5. taffy

taffy Active Member

6. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Affiliate Vendor

I have used Dupioni from Loro Piana. Very costly! The "slubs" mask some of the wrinkling that is part of light silk. Silk does not breathe - it wears hotter than pure fiber non silks of comparable weight. Through the years I made a fair number of blazers and a few suits and a few dinner suits. The blazers are wearable through most of the year.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/www.chippneckwear.com

7. taffy

taffy Active Member

Is the shine comparable to the Dormeuil mohair blend?
    Approximately how much does it run per metre?

8. David Reeves

Maybe a bit shinier than something like Tonik but similar. Well if I made you a Tonik mohair 2 piece it would run at 5000 if I did a Dupioni it would be 7000