• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunhill'

gregory

Reaction score
Hi all,

I love almost everything that dunhill' makes. At the moment, I am the proud owner of four sport shirts bought at $30-$50 a piece from their store [now closed] at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, a dark brown crocodile-skin watch at $350 (discounted from $900+), and five ties my father gave me which he bought in the 1980s. These ties (all diagonally striped), though more than twenty years in age, still look absolutely stunning and beat some of my newer ties.

So are there any other dunhill' lovers out there? And if I like the dunhill' style/design/concept, but refuse to pay the prices, are there similar brands?

Thanks gentlemen.

vero_group

Reaction score
Gregory, I like Dunhill too. Too bad you weren't around in November through January -- I had a big sale on eBay of about 100 NWT Dunhill shirts, sweaters, and jackets. I offered a 15% discount to StyleForum members. They moved swiftly and nicely. By the way, today I am wearing a Dunhill White Label button-front casual shirt under a 100% cashmere Dunhill Golf v-neck sweater. I have many more Dunhill items in my closet...
smile.gif
Logan.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I occasionally smoke their cigarettes.

rayk

Reaction score
Originally posted by Shirtmaven

Dunhill is just another luxury brand with no soul.
No personality.
Perhaps so; but if this brand fits well, and, more important, makes the wearer feel sharp when he wears it, he would be well advised to stick with it.  Of course, this allegiance shouldn't preclude trying other brands or moving up to MTM or bespoke.

gregory

Reaction score
Dunhill is just another luxury brand with no soul. No personality.
I appreciate your opinion.... but I feel just the very opposite. I think dunhill' does have a very strong personality and that they know what they are doing. One can walk out of a dunhill' store being extremely, extremely well-dressed. Conservative, stylish, dashing and sexy--all at the same time. That's what makes me like dunhill'. I am not an expert in fabrics, construction, etc but the design direction/concept of dunhill' is something I really like.
smile.gif
01_driver_defo.jpg
1_summer_defo.jpg
driver5.jpg
sport1.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never said that they did not buy excellent fabrics or use good factories to produce their clothing.
I have not been in a Dunhill store since they moved off of 57th and Park.

The 57th street store was a mess. The sales help was knowledgable but the store just had well made clothing. with no direction. Their main customers were Japanese tourist. MAybe things have improved. The Parent company dumped Sulka. Does anyone know who is the design direrctor and where the clothes are being designed?

gregory

Reaction score
I never said that they did not buy excellent fabrics or use good factories to produce their clothing. I have not been in a Dunhill store since they moved off of 57th and Park. The 57th street store was a mess. The sales help was knowledgable but the store just had well made clothing. with no direction. Their main customers were Japanese tourist. MAybe things have improved. The Parent company dumped Sulka. Â Does anyone know who is the design direrctor and where the clothes are being designed?
Hi shirtmaven, thanks again for your opinion. I thought I'd point out that I did not at all imply in my previous post that you said they did not buy excellent fabrics or use good factories, so I think this is a misunderstanding. However, I'm not sure what to make of your comment "Their main customers were Japanese tourist." I encourage you to visit the new store. I'd love to hear your impressions.
smile.gif

des Esseintes

Reaction score
Dunhill is just another luxury brand with no soul.
No personality.
i agree partly- the patterns are too boring and if it must be a brand id recommend daks: for clothes its better, the pipes and cigs are better at dunhills i must confess though..

when you already buy a dunhill shirt why not buy from levy or pink of london (jermyn str) they sell their products by mail too-heck for that price you can get your shirts custom made anyway...oh yeah of course they also make cool lighters...well actually i also like some aspects of that brand...i was just ranting a bit

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't get out much anymore. My business is located on lower fifth ave. so getting uptownis a rare excursion.

The old Dunhill store on 57th St. had Japanese sales people working on the main floor. They sold Cigar products and neckwear, etc. Mostly git type stuff. The clothing was upstairs. The store was not layed out well.

Does anyone remember Dunhill tailors on 57th Street. This was Run by the brothers Leon and Norman Block. Dunhill tailors and Meladandri were two of the finest tailored clothing stores in New York City. I never met Roland Meladandri or was
in his shop. I only heard stories from two sets of Tailors and salesmen who left to start their own businesses.
Vijay-Giovanni. Vijay had a tiny office in NYC. Giovanni made the clothing in Brooklyn with some amazing old-school tailors.
Alex Kabbaz worked with him for some time.

Cristofaro-Reddy was the other pair. They had a shop upstairs on 57th between 5th-6th. Cristofaro was a great tailor but had a really nasty drug habit. Uma Reddy kept
at it until recently with some other excellent tailors but, Antonio Cristofara was a stylish guy.

Urbane

Reaction score
I really like their after shaves. Their traditional ones and the new lines. "Edition" remains an all-time favourite. And I like their ties - especially the stripes. Their wallets are nice, but a bit overpriced and I dislike the prominent logos.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Dunhill tailors on 57th Street. This was Run by the brothers Leon and Norman Block. Dunhill tailors and Meladandri were two of the finest tailored clothing stores in New York City.

I have seen quite a few bespoke jackets from Dunhill tailors. I remember them as being extremely well-made, especially the more recent ones. Nice stuff.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dunhill Tailorshas been closed for at least 12 years. REcent things are form Dunhill Tobaconist. Which is now Just Dunhill.

The only mention on google of Roland Meladandri is about Ray Manzarek,The keyboard player from doors buying a $15,000 suit. That would have happened over 20 years ago. I can't imagine what it would cost today.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking the last jacket I saw was made in the late 90's, but it must have been the early 90's because it was definitely Dunhill Tailors. Dunhill the tobacconist never made anything that nice...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads