1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dunhill Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by water, Mar 9, 2005.

1. water

water Senior Member

Alright, a pretty general question for anyone "in the know". Are Dunhill suits fused, half-canvassed, or fully-canvassed?

What about silhouette? Slim or sack?

2. armscye

armscye Senior Member

The Dunhill tux I have is a fully canvassed St. Andrews, made in Italy.

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Distinguished Member

The Dunhill silhouette has recently gotten much slimmer and contemporary--to my eye it looks Continental rather than traditional, Savile Row-inspired. (I assume they are trying to appeal to younger customers.)

I believe that Richard James has been overhauling the RTW clothing collections, and they have also been updating their leather goods.

Question: What is the difference between "dunhill" and "Alfred Dunhill"? I saw some "Alfred Dunhill" sport coats and dress shirts in SFA recently, but when I walk by the Dunhill store on 5th Avenue, the shirts on display in the window usually say only "dunhill" on the label. Given that the "Alfred Dunhill" shirts have a retail price of $225, they hardly seem like part of a diffusion line.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Fused/half/full -- depends on where they are made and what line it is from. I find it impossible to tell from the label alone. The editions made in Italy have been uniformtly fully canvased in my experience (but I could be wrong). On the other hand, any suit made in Portugal is fully fused. I'm not sure if Dunhill even makes suits in England anymore (or ever did), but I imagine that if it is made in England it is fully canvassed.

Rule of thumb, if it's made in Italy assume it's fully canvassed but still ask the seller and wait for your answer (discostu's suits are undoubtedly fully canvassed).

5. whnay.

whnay. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Indeed Richard James is revamping the RTW, check out the website for the new one button and DB sportcoats. The Alfred Dunhill found in SFA is the firms trad line, also available is the motories line which is a casual line of clothing not carried in AD NYC.

Both the Dunhill and Alfred Dunhill collections are fully canvassed for 2005, all made in Italy.

6. dunhill

dunhill Member

Dunhill Tailors was a custom tailor on the north side of 57th street. It was then bought by Alfred Dunhill and joined their shop on the south side of 57th st. They gave up the "Dunhill Tailors" label and became "dunhill" on their suit label.

7. sanmateo

sanmateo Well-Known Member