Dunhill Poulsen Skones

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sirgarnetwolseley, May 16, 2005.

1. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I _think_ this has been discussed once or twice and someone with better knowledge of the shoes has said that they might be Crocketts (not sure if they're quite up to Handgrade levels) or Alfred Sargent Premiers.  As the (Grenson Masterpiece) Poulsen Skones New & Lingwood used to sell (and now sell as St James' shoes) run to nearly $800, I can't imagine the same shoes would be listed from $400-$550.  Having inspected them several times I will say they are nice shoes and that one could do worse at the price -- say, any of the common Italian shoes in that range.  Thinking about it in comparison with the current Peal line I'll venture the finishing is a tad nicer on the Dunhill Skones, not just the half-black treatment on the soles but all around.  I will also say that if they are C&J they are likely not handgrade level because of that price point.  But they're nicer looking than the Polo Benchmade shoes.

3. sirgarnetwolseley

Hmmm... A few things led me to conclude that these shoes were Grensons; 1. The cutout design around the model and size on the inside of the shoe. I have never seen this on a C&J shoe, either their benchgrades or handgrades. 2. The back seam of the shoe. In one of the photos, you can see that it is a very thin piece of leather that folds over the top of the backseam from the inside. This is exactly like my one pair of Grenson Masterpieces. Both my pairs of C&J handgrades and my one pair of benchgrades fold over from the side. 3. The style of the shoe. To my relatively unlearned eye, these appear to be exactly like the stowe. 4. The colour. These seem to be exactly the same reddish brownish chestnutty colour of my one pair of Masterpieces. Of course, it is hard to distinguish colour on the interweb. 5. Antiquing. You can sort of make out fairly subtle antiquing on the toes. Similar to my one pair of Masterpieces. I could be wrong, but all of the above point towards Grenson Masterpieces. $600 is about what the Paul Stuart Grensons cost at retail.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those are Grensons. However they are not the Poulsen/Dunhill shoes I saw for sale in NY last year. The shoes on ebay are better quality and are either more recent, or older (probably older.)

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Thanks AHarris. I thought that Dunhill only began selling Poulsen Skone-branded shoes in 2003 -- during discussions at the time I believe someone said those were C&J made. Is there a chance Dunhill's just recently reverted to Grenson (and maybe the price has gone up)?

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

agree that they are probably an older model

whoever makes them they are selling at a great price assuming they don't go much higher.

7. sirgarnetwolseley

I do not need another pair of wholecuts. I do not need another pair of wholecuts. I do not need another pair of wholecuts.

8. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps, I don't know for sure. I thought for sure the pair up for auction must be from England till I saw the Dunhill stamp on the insole. They are a lot nicer than the shoes I saw in the NY store, those shoes weren't that impressive, especially for the money...