• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunhill on STP

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love this. If I hadn't blown my budget at the Hickey sale, it would already be mine. I thought I'd share, but don't go buying all the size 38 before they knock down the price.

48630736vd.jpg

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is scary, but we seem to like much of the same looks. I love that jacket (but my wife would hate it - she would only see plaid, which she detests).

Earthmover

Reaction score
I noticed that they are made in Japan (most of the new Dunheels, that is). Who makes these?

gefinzi

Reaction score
I like it...actually I'd wear a suit of that plaid but I recognize its not for everyone (or most).
I'm wiling to admit I like the pink windowpane Dunhill sportscoat on STP too!

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it and i'm a 38...but don't worry suits and sports coats aren't in my budget for a long long while.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redtree00
I just bought this beauty.
crazy.gif

I don't know if I can pull it off, still trying to decide if to keep it or what to pair it with.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7245/48421704nv.jpg

BTW - STP has it listed for $599, paid $186.75 for it at Off Saks.
wow.gif

Would like nice with some fawn flannels or perhaps brown trousers. It's hard to discern the exact base color from the pic though. Could always default to gray, I suppose!

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To follow up on the STP Dunhills--I bought one of these suits and will probably send it back. It is a pretty nice fabric, and the construction is good though not Oxxfordesque (or even WW Chan-esque, for that matter).

The thing I really dislike is the cut. It seems to be cut for a pear-shaped wearer. The shoulders fit me pretty well but the waist is giant and the skirt flares way out. It has the least amount of waist suppression I've seen in a darted coat. I would need about four inches taken off the waist of the coat to make it fit. I've never cut that much out of a coat and worry about whether that would affect the balance.

Once you add in the cost of extensive alterations, it isn't such a great deal, at least for me.

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
To follow up on the STP Dunhills--I bought one of these suits and will probably send it back. It is a pretty nice fabric, and the construction is good though not Oxxfordesque (or even WW Chan-esque, for that matter).

The thing I really dislike is the cut. It seems to be cut for a pear-shaped wearer. The shoulders fit me pretty well but the waist is giant and the skirt flares way out. It has the least amount of waist suppression I've seen in a darted coat. I would need about four inches taken off the waist of the coat to make it fit. I've never cut that much out of a coat and worry about whether that would affect the balance.

Once you add in the cost of extensive alterations, it isn't such a great deal, at least for me.

Which suit? I ordered one a little while ago and it should be in my hands in a few days. I'm just curious which model you got, because I want to see if all of them are the same cut.

TomW

Reaction score
They are not all the same cut. I have purchased 3 - 2 were obviously made by Zegna, were fully canvassed and required little tailoring to dial in the fit. The other one is as described by the OP... I didn't waste anytime before sending it back. I failed to determine who manufactured it before sending back... it was not made to the same standard, and the fit was more than a bit off...

YMMV

aybojs

Reaction score
I got the charcoal w/ kiwi pinstripe suit in the mail today. I'm pretty disappointed: the fabric feels coarse and scratchy (that could be partially due to the mohair content, but regardless, it's not the soft, luxurious wool I've come to expect in high end suits, let alone the very nice Dunhill's I've seen at Off Fifth) and the suit seems to be fused (you basically have to aggressively peel away at the inside layer of fabric to be able to feel the canvas between, the basic rubbing test doesn't allow you to do this).

Unless there's some determination that my initial findings are wrong somehow, I'm going to return this with a slight message of frustration to STP. FWIW, it's a made in Japan suit, so that may have something to do with it. Either way, it's a shame to see Dunhill lose its status as a brand you can order sight unseen in good confidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads