• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dune.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Sting. Crappy movie too, IMO. And Kyle Mc. was Paul, Patrick Stewart was Gurney.

Scifi Channel miniseries (about 5 hrs, IIRC) from five or six years ago was much better. Though you have to love the original film for sheer camp.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dunecat.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ MS pwned. Wow.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
one of the best sci fi books i've ever read. up there with dan simmons' hyperion cantos and orson scott card's treason.
Whoa, I thought I was the only person who knew about treason. I've read that like 5 times! Just finished rereading enchantment again too

PS - Dune is great, the first book (though as you said, the later ones started getting too out there)...
Though, corny as it is, I really enjoyed the recent "children of dune" movies (James McAvoy), and of course the 80's movie version of Dune...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Whoa, I thought I was the only person who knew about treason. I've read that like 5 times! Just finished rereading enchantment again too

Treason was Scott Card at his best, IMO.

Was he the author of the Ender books too? Can't remember.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ of course! Personally, I like Ender's Game and Ender's Shaddow as a set together. The series following each of Ender and Bean's lives started to go off in a different plot line and even writing style..

ths

Reaction score
The 80's movie was quite interesting... i wasn't quite sure what was happening but its sheer strangeness prompted me to pick up the book. To me the whole story should have just ended with the first book.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
^^^ of course! Personally, I like Ender's Game and Ender's Shaddow as a set together. The series following each of Ender and Bean's lives started to go off in a different plot line and even writing style..
+1. I preferred reading the Enders then the Bean books. Everything fell into place nicely then. Just put Treason and Wyrms on hold at the library. Hope they're good. Dune was slow and boring.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ths
The 80's movie was quite interesting... i wasn't quite sure what was happening but its sheer strangeness prompted me to pick up the book. To me the whole story should have just ended with the first book.
I saw the film soon after it came out, didn't understand it, (I was about 12) read the book (which I never would have understood without having seen the film), watched the film again and loved it. Maybe I should read the original book again now, I wouldn't put it in my top 5 sci - fi books on recollection definitely top ten or twenty though. I read the first 5 or so Dune books in my early teens, the first sequel was readable, I think I may have given up in the middle of the fourth or fifth one. Any news on the Lynch approved full length version of the film? - its been rumoured as long as I can remember.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, is this Dune book based on the Iron Maiden song?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you talking about the scifi aka Alan Smithee cut of Dune?

Great novel, but I should have read closer, although it's not in my top 5 books of all time, it is definitely the best sci fi book I've ever read. Well, best sci fi next to Dune Messiah, which I felt was much better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Hey, is this Dune book based on the Iron Maiden song?

Yeah, that's the one.

You should try this other book, based on 2112.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of any Ender book past Speaker for the Dead

also card's earlier books are free from his heavy handed mormon preachings. goddamn, he has said some totally abhorrent things about homosexuality

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads