• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duncan Quinn LA store

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
for the possibly one other person who might care...

Duncan Quinn is opening an LA store on Melrose in about 2 weeks. When I called the NYC store, he told me the address which I forgot but the vicinity is around the Fred Segal store, if my address #s recollection is correct, about 1-2 blocks east of Fred Segal.

still havent heard any concrete word on Ozwald Boateng's melrose store, if that's even still happening.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Cool. It's amazing that DQ is able to open a store more quickly than OB...I would think that it will do well in LA.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
GFman: I was thinking the same thing. Does that mean that Oz is OWNED?!

Also, does that mean Duncan has a meal ticket out of our hideous ***** mistress of a profession?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
...I would think that it will do well in LA.

Duncan has more potential to do well than Ozwald. He isnt so over the top in color choices, but still manages to infuse a lot of color into his line. That 'middle ground' will def help make his clothes more wearable. I'm sure the success of Paul Smith's melrose store is a business model for a guy like DQ, infusing LA with some "cool Britannia" at a price point that many folks are willing to spend. In line with that the thread on the Washington Post article, myself and most of my friends wear suits for play, not work, so this style is right up our alley.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
GS -- You will have to stop by the store and post a report.

RJ -- I haven't spoken recently to my former colleagues....will have to see what the story is. I would expect that DQ-S would be eager to focus on that business versus the skullduggery and tedium of BigLaw.

Fortuantely, my divorce to the hideous ***** mistress has been finalized!

As for OB, I ask this: when was the series shot? Last fall? And still no stores int he US....

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for OB, I ask this: when was the series shot? Last fall? And still no stores int he US....

Precisely. The series is nothing more than a prospectus.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
update:

The address is 8380 Melrose, so it's a couple blocks west of the Paul Smith store. Grand Opening is slated for July 18th. sweeet.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA people:
Know anything about World Denim Bar? Is it what the name suggests? It looks like it will be opening soon, next to American Rag on La Brea.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If it's anything like the moniker suggest that would rule ok. It definitely suggests stocking many lines from Japan, Sweden, etc. American Rag has one of the bigger denim selections in town, so I wonder if this new store is a joint venture or a competing one?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Fortuantely, my divorce to the hideous ***** mistress has been finalized
well its good to see that you stayed friends

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
So the LA Duncan Quinn store opened yesterday so I dropped by today to check it out...

It's still undergoing interior completion but there are some cool photos printed on canvas of 60s Michael Caine behind the front counter (one of which is the most awesome pic I've seen, with Caine punching into the camera wearing a DB suit and the pose is amazing) and some other "cool" images on the other wall (Sex Pistols etc). It's a small space, and the stock is currently minimal. Some shirts, ties, links, pocket squares, socks, and about 7 suits (each different, one size of each only) hanging on an old armoir.

The shirts were the same as I have, in some different colors. Pocket squares were VERY nice, but $$ at $75. They had one suit in my size that I tried on and it fit like a glove. Very fitted, all handmade full canvassed.

Talked with David (from the NYC store, featured on one of Sartorialists photo blogs early this year) for a good bit. He said DQs "bespoke" service accounts for 50% of the NY store's suit sales. He showed me the fabric books you can pick from, ranging from Dormeuil to Zegna to H&S, etc. Some really great swatches for sure. He seemed to know his stuff pretty well and was really enthusiastic talking about their wares. There were some crazy nice Super 200s fabric from Dormeuil that he said was $$$$$. Very soft and 8oz if I remember right. He referred to them as the 'millionaire' fabrics since you practically have to be one to afford a suit made from it.

It'll be nice to see the store when it's completely finished. I got to see previews of the fall/winter line and it looked interesting.

augustgarage

Reaction score
I am quite taken with some of his shirts (judging from his website). Does the construction quality merit the price? I will have to make my way over to his new store soon. Thank you.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
His shirts have a great fit. They are made quite slim and they conform to my body extremely well. The shirts I have use top quality cotton, very soft with a nice hand to it. My only gripe is what I'm sure are plastic buttons. But I love the fit and fabric so much that the plastic buttons aren't a dealbreaker for me.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
His shirts have a great fit. They are made quite slim and they conform to my body extremely well. The shirts I have use top quality cotton, very soft with a nice hand to it. My only gripe is what I'm sure are plastic buttons. But I love the fit and fabric so much that the plastic buttons aren't a dealbreaker for me.

Are the prices in the store inline with the prices on his web site?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have visited the website (which sucks btw), this looks like ridiculously overpriced stuff. And the fit of the guy's suit on the frontpage is very poor.
Jason, I have no reasons to doubt your expertise, and as much as I like the retro mod, english style "Ã la paul smith", I am underwhelmed by what I _see_.

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads