• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumbbell exercises that improve posture

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some dumbbell exercises or other things I can do in my home to improve my posture. I have slight lordosis, so I'd like to minimize that. I have two 20-lb dumbbells, and can get more once I need more weight. I'm 5'7" and 130lbs for reference. Thanks!
fing02[1].gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know if there is anything you can do with dumbells for that other than standing presses. *shrug.

Maybe try chinups and pullups, seemed to help my posture a lot.

turbozed

Reaction score
Get ye to a gym and start doing some heavy deadlifts instead of playing around with playing around with those 20 lbers.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went to a physical therapist about my lordosis and they said strengthening the stomach and stretching the hip flexors was the way to minimize it. I did just that and didn't notice anything. I think the popular conception of how straight the lower back should curve is unrealistic- nearly all the aboriginal tribespeople you see on tv have a very pronounced lordosis... I think it's the sign of a strong lower back/gluteul muscles.

trader

Reaction score
you dont need any weights. but unless you go to a physical therapist it's hard to say which exercises you need but the standard exercises would be to: strengthen your transverse abdominis and loosen your hip flexors and hamstrings i would suggest these to start: stretch back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfKWm...eature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccuvv...eature=related stretch hip flexors stretch hamstrings planks side planks remember to warm up before you start. take a run or bike until you build up a sweat. do it every day. hold each stretch for 30 seconds and do multiple reps, and do planks in as many reps as you can do going for 30 seconds to start, then build your way up. and remember to stand up straight and sit correctly. and most importantly, go to a physical therapist to get the correct diagnosis

doug funnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
i went to a physical therapist about my lordosis and they said strengthening the stomach and stretching the hip flexors was the way to minimize it. I did just that and didn't notice anything. I think the popular conception of how straight the lower back should curve is unrealistic- nearly all the aboriginal tribespeople you see on tv have a very pronounced lordosis... I think it's the sign of a strong lower back/gluteul muscles.

I think your conception of what it takes to lengthen the hip flexors and strengthen the stomach is unrealistic.

And just because your body appears to have the same imbalances as those of someone who has spent their entire life doing manual labor does not mean that it won't shouldn't be viewed as a health issue for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads