1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb things we see in the gym...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by aleeboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Not fitness first. I wouldnt mind joining one day actually [​IMG]
    Just wish this one guy would free up the equipment by taking his stuff with him as he moves along, and wait like the rest of us if he needs to go back to it.
    it doesnt help that its a small gym too

well, that is directly related to people who curl in the squat rack, or who spend 15 minutes on one station and rest between sets. I do 3 sets, 3-5 excersizes, and want to get out quick. so I set up the weights in each, and do my stuff. so, yeah, it can be annoying, but such is life.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^i take all the pins if i intend to use the crossover/cable station during the course of my day's training.

i also drink a 64 ounce whey/cassein shake during my workout and take BCAAs between sets.

3. globetrotter

^i take all the pins if i intend to use the crossover/cable station during the course of my day's training.

[​IMG]

4. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

I was doing supersets of back (pull-ups) and chest (bench) the other day. I had commandeered the dip/pull-up stand and a bench. I noticed some skinny, little guy pacing back and forth looking at my stuff layed out on top of the bench while I was doing pull-ups. When I finished my superset and was walking back to the bench he looks at me and says in a huffy tone, "Its not very fair to use two sets of equipment at once!" Then he STORMED out of the room. What...a...bitch.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^here's my usual reply:

"no you cannot "work in" if you're going to strip plates off every fucking time."

was benching my usual incline sets of 365 when a teen asked if he could work in and proceeded to strip the bar down to 2 quarters every time i was done.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm happy to let people work in, but put everything back where you found it, sport.

I have a minor dislike for guys who pick up DBs and stand in front of the rack exercising. How bloody hard is it for you to take two steps back? But I have a special hatred for guys who load 14 plates on a leg press machine, do three half reps then walk away.

At any rate, I'm as guilty as anyone for doing dumb looking shit in the gym. Barbell rollouts always garner a few looks.

lefty

7. RabbitChannel

RabbitChannel Active Member

What's wrong with people doing martial arts in the aerobics room?

8. Despot

Despot Well-Known Member

I need to join a gym. Not to get fit but just to witness all the amazing things you guys are seeing. I could do without the old man naked bits though.

9. globetrotter

^here's my usual reply:

"no you cannot "work in" if you're going to strip plates off every fucking time."

was benching my usual incline sets of 365 when a teen asked if he could work in and proceeded to strip the bar down to 2 quarters every time i was done.

exactly fucking right.

10. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I see all manner of dumb, dangerous, and lame acts at the gym I attend. I am an older lifter and do some work that others rarely do. The one that often draws the most curiosity is floor lifts in the power cage.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^i love power partials and floor presses, even pullover and press on the floor.

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

What's wrong with people doing martial arts in the aerobics room?

Yeah, it seems like a reasonable thing to do. I don't think some of these dumb things are really all that dumb.

I'd have to say the dumbest thing I've seen is a guy benching without a spotter and then having to yell for help because he's using too much weight for too many reps.

13. Eason

Eason Senior member

I only work in with people if I do their weight or more, you have to show them their place or it isn't worth it.

14. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

I'd have to say the dumbest thing I've seen is a guy benching without a spotter and then having to yell for help because he's using too much weight for too many reps.

That's been me more then once.

The only thing that really annoys me is when people who can't lift shit act arrogant. Some big fat guy was douching it up and telling me to hurry up in the squat ( I wasn't resting that long and i was obviously busting my ass as my face went red by the end of the set). I assumed he was strong but fat (hard to tell). After i'm done he proceeds to quarter front squat 135 3 x 5 (he looked about 270-300) while bs-ing with his trainer. I actually started laughing.

15. globetrotter

yeah, I do that every now and again. I don't like working with anybody, because I don't like the talking that goes with it. but every now and again, I do need a spot. I try to grab people before I need it, rather than after, but that has happened, too.

16. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior member

I work out at a gym in China. Far worse than anything I've seen back in the states.

People never carry around towels and gym employees never clean off the machines. The employees job is to mop the floors non-stop.
    Ping pong and billiards consist of half the gym.
    The gym sells water, gatorade, creatine, fake protein powder, and cigarettes.
    90% of the men smoke before and after working out.
    For some reason the men here don't only use towels to dry off. They use a blow dryer to dry and fluff out their massive pubic bushes.
    Our shower has a squat toilet in the corner. When it is occupied people openly pee in the shower.
    The bigger guys at the gym always leave their weights on the squat racks and benches. The few women that attempt using free weights struggle to pick them up.
    Most guys come, chat for an hour, play ping pong, do 2 sets of bench presses, talk on their cell phones loudly, spit at least 10 times, then go spit more in the locker room.

17. 98Percent

98Percent Active Member

Honestly, not much pisses me off in the gym. I have a high tolerance. But one thing that really irks me is the quarter-rep squats, when some skinny kid loads up 315lb+ on the bar and goes down about 5 inches. How could anyone possibly think that it is the correct way to squat?

18. thinman

thinman Senior member

Honestly, not much pisses me off in the gym. I have a high tolerance. But one thing that really irks me is the quarter-rep squats, when some skinny kid loads up 315lb+ on the bar and goes down about 5 inches. How could anyone possibly think that it is the correct way to squat?
    It's not "the correct" way to squat, but on alternate weeks my trainer has me do full ROM squats or partial squats (about a 1'-2' ROM) with as much weight as I can possibly handle (with chains and safety rails in place [​IMG]). The idea is that after partials, the weight I'm using for full ROM feels feather-light. So the kid may know what he's doing (doubtful, I agree, but he's not necessarily a moron).

19. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I work out at a gym in China. Far worse than anything I've seen back in the states.

90% of the men smoke before and after working out.

At least not smoking during work-outs. My first gym did not ban smoking.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

How about outside the gym?

[​IMG]

lefty