• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb things we see in the gym...

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/nyregion/03spin.html

"Mr. Carter, 45, a stockbroker, stormed over to Mr. Sugarman's bike and lifted it, crashing the back of it into a wall, witnesses said. Mr. Sugarman said the force of the bike dropping to the ground caused a herniated disc in his neck."

lefty

If I'd only had the strength of The Kunk, I would have flung the singing lawyer and his treadmill into the freeweights pit.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would have ripped off his arm and fucked him with it

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the kunk is funny, lol. big tough guy sounds like
wink.gif
. i hope i don't fall into this category :[. im 5'10/130lbs but i do lift alot for my size and experience and i have good technique. my only thing is i can't stay off my blackberry while training lol. inbetween sets, even just 30 seconds on it texting...gotta have it. theres a few clowns at my gym, nothing of note though.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once when I was in high school football, we were lifting weights and this o-lineman was doing squats. He did like 2-3 reps on squats racks the weight and starts walking out of the weight room. The coach starts yelling at him, "where're you going, you're not done".

The kid just responds back, "Coach, I **** my pants". Everybody in the weight room died from laughter. Every year at our end of the year BBQ, this kid would eat a paper plate. He'd load it up with beef, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and eat the plate like a fajita.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
need to eat more dood. you're like the polar opposite of obese. and i'm just a big ol' *****. not a tough guy.
photo-29.jpg
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
the kunk is funny, lol. big tough guy sounds like
wink.gif
. i hope i don't fall into this category :[. im 5'10/130lbs but i do lift alot for my size and experience and i have good technique. my only thing is i can't stay off my blackberry while training lol. inbetween sets, even just 30 seconds on it texting...gotta have it. theres a few clowns at my gym, nothing of note though.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
need to eat more dood. you're like the polar opposite of obese.

and i'm just a big ol' *****. not a tough guy.

photo-29.jpg

And here I thought your avatar was Mr. Clean, not the real Kunk.

gungadin25

Reaction score
I've seen my share of weirdos too.

1. One guy runs on the treadmill backwards at a steep incline and makes eye contact with everyone else in the room, who are all facing him. He also does lunges with weights, but instead of staying in one place, he walks all over the gym.

2. Another guy wears gray USC sweatshirts and USC sweatpants every single day with the sleeves rolled up. He's obviously not interested in working out (i.e., loads up 250 lbs on bench and tries to lift it, then rests for 5 minutes and tries again) and is only there to hit on the girls, but he is so obvious, they avoid him like the plague.

3. This old guy who always painstakingly dries his balls with the hand drier in the locker room.

4. Anorexia girl who does jumping exercises non-stop.

There are probably others. I get annoyed at the gym a lot, especially b/c I don't have that much time to spend there.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
I've seen my share of weirdos too. ...He also does lunges with weights, but instead of staying in one place, he walks all over the gym.
I'm guilty of doing walking lunges at the gym. Doesn't seem to bother anybody. Or at least I think I don't bother anybody. Oh no...I've become the gym weirdo.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He also does lunges with weights, but instead of staying in one place, he walks all over the gym.
That would be funny to see. I cant stand when guys are on their Blackberrys in the gym, taking up benches just sitting there texting.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3. This old guy who always painstakingly dries his balls with the hand drier in the locker room.

His balls are far to delicate for cloth.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) using a cell phone at the gym
2) reading a magazine while walking on the treadmill
3) the girls who wrap a sweatshirt around their hips (everyone knows they have a big ass)
4) guys grunting loudly while using average weights
5) curls in the squat rack
6) guys who wear the most revealing tanktop with baggy pants (everyone knows they don't squat)

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The douchebag at my gym that occupies 5 different pieces of equipment at one time and is constantly barking, "hey I'm on that machine - I only have five sets left."

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I was going through this thread thinking that none of this stuff bothered me especially. But this, this bugs the **** out of me. Although it almost never happens thank god. I guess I go to a pretty normal gym, or at least I don't notice all of this stuff. I go to my college gym and the trainers are cool and the people at gym are a pretty normal bunch. One would think I could complain about the frat guys, but they are all ok and tend to have respect for the equipment, others time etc.. I also personally don't have a problem with grunting, at least on final reps or things. When rowing and I'm trying to push myself grunting out pulls is going to happen. I'm not alone in that. At times athletic teams take a part of the gym known as 'the pit' and the sounds that come from there are intense sometimes and I have no problem with it.
You must work out at UCSD (met Jerry yet?). I was there 2 years ago and there was a guy who would grunt with every lift, so loudly that everyone could hear him. I looked over one time and realized that most of the women's water polo team in the pit was doing the same lift, with the same weight, as the guy, but they were quietly going about their business. I really enjoyed mornings when the women's water polo or volleyball teams would work out. I'm a leg man.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Curling in the squat rack

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads