1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dumb things we see in the gym...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by aleeboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

Having moved to Shanghai, China recently; and having joined a gym that has mostly locals, I've witnessed some strange things. Having said that, a gym culture doesn't really exist here except for expats and a small handful of locals so I am comparing all of this activity back to US gyms.

The first oddity has to do with gym etiquette, people chatting on their mobile phones constantly, even when in process of working out with trainers. I have always been a believer in no cell phones in the gym, but in a society with the largest mobile phone users in the world, I guess it's bound to happen. Plus at this gym, nobody re-racks free weights! How I despise searching the ground for a pair of dumbbells.

One of my favorite things to see is guys who working out in the clothes that they went to the office in. Watching people bench press and attempt squats in leather oxfords, button down collared shirts, and dress slacks is very entertaining.

BY FAR the strangest behavior that I have unfortunately have the ill-pleasure of witnessing is not on the gym floor but in the locker room. Apparently it's very common for men to use the hair dryers to dry their pubic hair! Despite their even being signs discouraging the behavior. Welcome to China.

These some of the ones I see all the time. There are defiantly others that I will have to keep my eye out for.

Hey what about my all time favourite in a china gym.
    The rampant spitting on the floor/carpet in an air conditioned gym.

2. caff

caff Well-Known Member

Somewhat related - I had a roommate who was here on an internship with me...

The guy hit the gym 5 days a week, consistently, for 5-6 months, but was supremely lazy when it came to eating.

His lunches would consist of chocolate bars from the office vending machines, his post workout dinner would be fake Chinese food from the place across the street. Eventually, that got to be too much and his diet consisted solely of 40-pack cookies from the local supermarket and bags of sunflower seeds.

It was really sad to watch. [​IMG]

3. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

I go to the gym often but never really see too much besides the weird guy(s) who stares at me, sweaty guys and the gym talkers (seriously 2 hours in the gym, talking for 3/4 of the time). But today takes the cake... so I was in the locker room changing when two probably 18 year old kids came in there.

These kids were very fat - like the kids who sat at home played video games and ate big macs. The whole spare tire and stretch marks, huge clothes, etc... So they are changing next to me talking about where they are going afterwards. Fatty 1 convinces fatty 2 to go to old country buffet for dinner, hahaha. At least fatty 2 had some sense "I cant go there or else Ill eat everything" but clearly had no will power as he was easily talked into it "But its only $10 on sundays", lol...

4. West24

West24 Well-Known Member

these two massive nerds. it was like night at the roxbury. thats the exaxt picture i get when i see them. the way they acted and held themselves. one was tall and extremely thin, the other short and pudgy. both wearing MATCHING under armour outfits. it was like a nasty joke. i couldnt believe what i was seeing. i dont know how these guys couldnt see how dumb they looked. i thought they were joking around first. but they took there work outs pretty serious. encouraging eachother n all, and matching outfits every time i saw them. it was so pathetic. i then was in my car and saw them riding there bikes on the road together. god those two will be etched in my mind forever.

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

^^ That is excellent. Some people are just in their own little world.

6. TwentySomthing

TwentySomthing Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit wierd (and worth a try), but do you really need a sign? How does this bother other folks?

It's is strange, (maybe I am missing out on something), and apparently. Doesn't bother anybody except expats I think. Like I said seems fairly common and I've seen a range of ages participating the ritual. Maybe a new personal grooming new fad? Ball blow drying... you heard it here first...

Hey what about my all time favourite in a china gym.
    The rampant spitting on the floor/carpet in an air conditioned gym.

True! I've only heard of that one though, haven't personally witnessed it though. It seems to me the practice of spitting is more common up North than it is in Shangers.

Building on the cell phone usage, I just came back from the gym and there was a guy wearing sandals was sitting at a calf machine on his mobile from the time that I got there until after I left. There must be a better place to be heard?

7. TwentySomthing

TwentySomthing Well-Known Member

How could I forget to mention the Body Builder types taking their shirts off in the middle of the gym to take pictures of each other! Classic! Not sure if all of these guys are Chinese though, some are Korean I think. Shanghai gets more entertaining everyday.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

there was a posing room in my old gym with a purrell-like dispenser filled with posing oil. enough said.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

there was a posing room in my old gym with a purrell-like dispenser filled with posing oil. enough said.

that's pretty fucking awesome.

10. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

11. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

True! I've only heard of that one though, haven't personally witnessed it though. It seems to me the practice of spitting is more common up North than it is in Shangers.

Ooh! Ooh! I've got another one!

Since Shanghai denizens just love wandering in public in their jammies, do you see them in the gym with their PJs?

Also since lining up is an alien concept imported in China just like opium, do you see a great mass rushing and barging to use the equipments and the bathroom?

12. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of muscle bound (or so they think..) guys at the gym who literally eat tuna in between sets so as to get their requisite amount of protein.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

There are a couple of muscle bound (or so they think..) guys at the gym who literally eat tuna in between sets so as to get their requisite amount of protein.

damn, i wish i was that dedicated.

14. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

Protein shake is better because liquids are easily digestable.
    But I dont advocate eating in between sets because at a frenetic training pace, you are liable to hurl your cookies.

15. dimshum

dimshum Well-Known Member

While resting in between my squat sets, I noticed a skinny black guy pacing around the gym doing absolutely nothing. Finally, he pulled up next to me, looked straight at the mirror, pulled up his shirt, stared at his abs for 10 seconds and proceeded to walk to the next mirror doing the same thing. After about thirty minutes of pacing and self-admiration, he walked out of the gym. What a joke.

16. in_motion

in_motion Member

Theres a guy at my work gym that uses three or four pieces of equipment and does one set on each, rotating around. he leaves his stuff on the equipment he uses to mark it and its always awkward asking if I can use it. When I see him walking around at work, I just want to pop him in the face.

17. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

^ You must go to fitness first

18. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Theres a guy at my work gym that uses three or four pieces of equipment and does one set on each, rotating around. he leaves his stuff on the equipment he uses to mark it and its always awkward asking if I can use it. When I see him walking around at work, I just want to pop him in the face.

thats me.

19. in_motion

in_motion Member

^ You must go to fitness first

Not fitness first. I wouldnt mind joining one day actually [​IMG]
    Just wish this one guy would free up the equipment by taking his stuff with him as he moves along, and wait like the rest of us if he needs to go back to it.
    it doesnt help that its a small gym too

20. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

I swear, a couple was humping / dry-humping the other night in the hot tub next to the fitness area of the hotel I'm staying at. Not that attractive, either of them, so I just continued my routine.