• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb Raw Denim Questions

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I own a pair of 5EP LDBs that I have finally learned to like. I've owned them for more than one year, but I've probably only worn them 20 times or so, if that. I'm finding that I enjoy wearing them more than I used to - maybe I've gotten used to the look or something, or maybe I just look a little better in them since I've dropped a couple of pounds.

I don't know how much longer I can go without washing them - I guess I'm impatient but I want them to be less stiff and uncomfortable, and I suppose I'd like to see some fading. It's not like they stink or anything, though. 3 questions/issues:

1) Am I going to get no fading because I haven't worn them enough? Will I see any fading before washing that will show me where fading will develop?

2) I had them hemmed a little long - I'm wondering if it will be impossible later to hem them shorter. Should I just do this now and keep wearing them for a while longer so I get good hem fadez? I likely won't be able to have fancy chain-stitching or anything done - can I just get a cheap dry cleaner tailor to do this for me (obviously, with specific instructions not to clean them!).

3) Is this just a bad idea? Are they not going to soften up so I might as well keep wearing them?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
So I own a pair of 5EP LDBs that I have finally learned to like. I've owned them for more than one year, but I've probably only worn them 20 times or so, if that. I'm finding that I enjoy wearing them more than I used to - maybe I've gotten used to the look or something, or maybe I just look a little better in them since I've dropped a couple of pounds.

I don't know how much longer I can go without washing them - I guess I'm impatient but I want them to be less stiff and uncomfortable, and I suppose I'd like to see some fading. It's not like they stink or anything, though. 3 questions/issues:

1) Am I going to get no fading because I haven't worn them enough? Will I see any fading before washing that will show me where fading will develop?

2) I had them hemmed a little long - I'm wondering if it will be impossible later to hem them shorter. Should I just do this now and keep wearing them for a while longer so I get good hem fadez? I likely won't be able to have fancy chain-stitching or anything done - can I just get a cheap dry cleaner tailor to do this for me (obviously, with specific instructions not to clean them!).

3) Is this just a bad idea? Are they not going to soften up so I might as well keep wearing them?

First off (I have a jean stickied up top is good for this sort of thing) but since you are from the other side of the fora, i'll answer...

1. Waiting to wash will only increase the contrast in fading, but the overall fading still mostly has to do with how hard you wear your denim. You will definitely see fading once you wear these a few hundred times.

2. When you wash they may shrink in the inseam slightly, so I would definitely wait till all possible shrinkage is gone.

3) They will soften up with washes/wear as well.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try giving them a warm soak in some soapy water. It should soften the denim a bit, shrink them (especially in length), and would come out cleaner. Definitely keep in mind the non-washing is all about contrasting fades. If that's what you want, you may want to wear them more often. They'll eventually soften up over time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm giving this a by inspite of the obvious "Ask a Question thread" above, if only because so many people see to have the same question. But seriously, in the future, check out the pinned threads before starting a redundant thread.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm giving this a by inspite of the obvious "Ask a Question thread" above, if only because so many people see to have the same question. But seriously, in the future, check out the pinned threads before starting a redundant thread.
I don't know Guy, you let this one go and next thing you know you get this: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=150255 or this: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=150247 or this: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=150076

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

I don't know how much longer I can go without washing them - I guess I'm impatient but I want them to be less stiff and uncomfortable

I find with every pair of raw denim I own, there's a minimum (more or less) one month straight wearing process before they start to feel nice. At the 3 month mark I forget that my still unwashed jeans began raw at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads