• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb raw denim noob question

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just bought a pair of raw denim jeans from esef on a whim, and was doing a little reading. One thing I don't get is the "no washing for 6 months" thing. I looked on SF, I googled it, but I can't seem to find any answers to this. How the hell do you go 6 months without getting pants cleaned? My pants, at least, would probably get some sort of dirt/stain/whatever and start to smell bad after several wears, to say nothing of 6 months.

So do people just febreze them? Don't mind it? Or is raw denim so magically awesome that it smells like Adriana Lima's farts?

I'm so confused.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
wear them with no underwear, take showers with them on, sleep with them then after 6 mos wash them and they barely fit and u get some cool creasing, very spectacular.

Or you go go the sane person route and create your own wash quickly, by sanding, washing with dyes, trying some recipes.

SykoFreak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
So I just bought a pair of raw denim jeans from esef on a whim, and was doing a little reading. One thing I don't get is the "no washing for 6 months" thing. I looked on SF, I googled it, but I can't seem to find any answers to this. How the hell do you go 6 months without getting pants cleaned? My pants, at least, would probably get some sort of dirt/stain/whatever and start to smell bad after several wears, to say nothing of 6 months. So do people just febreze them? Don't mind it? Or is raw denim so magically awesome that it smells like Adriana Lima's farts? I'm so confused.
Some people are naturally not very smelly therefore neither are their jeans. For the smelly people, Febreze is a good option. You'll just have to experiment with your wish to have awesome contrast fades vs. how dirty/smelly you can stand your jeans to be. Edit: If someone wears jeans into the shower, won't the creases go away because they'll get soaking wet, producing the same negative effect as washing?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run in my jeans every morning and it soaks up all the sweat. I don't air them out or anything. It doesn't smell.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I run in my jeans every morning and it soaks up all the sweat. I don't air them out or anything. It doesn't smell.

Seriously, who goes jogging in jeans? That is just rediculous.

I was thinking about this last night actually, I wear my jeans daily and get no smell at all. I dont see how what people do in their jeans that would make them reek.

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I'm so confused.
I gave you what you will eventually find to be the correct answer, but I guess I'll elaborate.

Originally Posted by Composer_1777
wear them with no underwear, take showers with them on, sleep with them then after 6 mos wash them and they barely fit and u get some cool creasing, very spectacular.

Or you go go the sane person route and create your own wash quickly, by sanding, washing with dyes, trying some recipes.

Unless you are being facetious, this is a moronic post of epic proportions. Don't wear them without underwear, Don't take showers with them on, Don't sleep in them, Don't sand them, Don't wash them with dyes.

Originally Posted by TyCooN
If you run in your jeans deliberately to create more wear...
plain.gif

Originally Posted by Composer_1777
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc0047/74958005/sizes/l/
This is the APC "washing guide" It merely gives suggestions for how to wash (or not), but not WHEN, which is what the OP wants to know

So...what you would find after wearing them for a while is this:
If you wear a regular pair of distressed, pre-washed jeans, after a few days they will stretch out like crazy and probably become visibly dirty. The raw jeans, however, will maintain their shape, and appear pretty clean. In fact, unless you are in the large minority, you will find that they won't even smell, not even after month(s) of wear.

The 6 month rule is just a benchmark. It's really up to you when to wash, you can do it once a day or once a week or once a month or once a year..or never. The more often you wash, the less contrasty your fades will become. In other words...with washes the entire jean will lighten in color. So...if you put in a ton of wear between washes, the contrast between the whiskers/combs and the rest of the jeans will become greater.
Generally.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash when they start to itch, but even then my jeans often doesnt smell that much/bad. On the topic of high contrast fades, ive come to realise that I prefer more "natural" fades, meaning lighter blue, but with visible wear, than the dark blue/white fades that seems to be the forum ideal. Vintage denim often look much better than raw denim you see people wear... So, I think i´ll start washing my jeans more often...

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
why dont u wear them and find out
+1. Find out for yourself. When they get dirty, wash them. Dirty is for you to decide - what is dirty in your lifestyle may be "light wear" to someone else. That's part of what makes the jeans your own.

Casey

Reaction score
What you COULD try is washing them after 1-3 months instead of six months. But from my experience, they fade more if you rinse or soak them before you wear them.

It's not necessarily a rule to wait that long.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
I gave you what you will eventually find to be the correct answer, but I guess I'll elaborate.

Unless you are being facetious, this is a moronic post of epic proportions. Don't wear them without underwear, Don't take showers with them on, Don't sleep in them, Don't sand them, Don't wash them with dyes.

You're either an annoying prick or just absolutely socially clueless. This was obviously a sarcastic comment just without the (10). And who cares if you sleep in them without underwear and take a shower in them the next morning while sanding them and washing them with dyes. They're your jeans. You can do whatever the hell you want. Who are you to tell him not to?

If you run in your jeans deliberately to create more wear...
plain.gif
What's wrong with running in your jeans to give it more wear? That's the whole point. You're supposed to wear your jeans enough that they reflect your lifestyle. Ryu san always wore his jeans when he went biking on the weekends. Is he a hypocrite because he "deliberately" gave them more wear? If you want to sand your jeans or pinch the creases so what?

This is the APC "washing guide" It merely gives suggestions for how to wash (or not), but not WHEN, which is what the OP wants to know
Read the damn thing. It says wash when it gets really dirty or wash like any other jeans.

BTW you should wash when it starts to smell and the smell bothers other people. This usually happens around the 4,5 month mark if you wear them hard all fall/winter a bit quicker if you wear them in spring/summer.

I'm usually pretty nice, but your post was really pretentious and annoying. Basically, who gives a crap. /postfinalsrant

DBoon

Reaction score
I said "unless you are being facetious..."

**** off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads