Dumb eBay Purchases?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Nov 26, 2007.

1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

A Tino Cosma necktie arrived from Italy this past weekend -- and I immediately donated it to a Goodwill because it was fake! Who fakes Tino Cosma? [​IMG]

2. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I've had a couple of these: • Helmut Lang dress shirt, size 38. Now, it seemed fine, I didn't really check the measurements, and I swooped in and got it at the last second (~$50). Yeah.. EU 38 (which is about a size 2/XS-S in Women's). Luckily it fit my fiancee just fine. It's a really nice shirt. For her. [​IMG] • Costume National pants. The fit was horribly off, the material (nylon/cotton blend) did not look at ALL like the picture (it was quite ugly and cheap looking in person)... Tossed it to Goodwill the day after I bought them. Sticking to returnable goods for this brand. • Some 'beater' J&M shoes. Seemed alright by the picture, but when I got them, the soles were fucked up and the shoes themselves were near rubbish. Guh. • Various Prada/Dolce/Gucci items which were either fake or really stupid purchases. Not a lot of money spent on those, thankfully.

3. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

A real trap can be buy-it-now. You stumble upon something. Looks unbelievable. Buy-it-now seems almost free. Listed just minutes ago. Better grab it immediately before someone else does. You click.

On balance, however, eBay has been the source of many treasures, not just bargains but things I had thought long gone from the world. Well worth the occasional error. And I've made my share.

4. nsoltz

nsoltz Senior member

My wife never lets me forget my dumb purchases:

1) The two Brioni shirts I listed in sales forum which vendor said were 32" sleeve length but actually were 28"

2) When I was a total newbie, a Hickey suit which was at least 30 years old and smelled like it, too

3) A fake suit when I was a newbie.

Buy it now sometimes is great if a seller really does not know what they are listing. I've had a few experiences with sellers primarily of women's clothing who come across something great in men's clothes-- and don't know it. I got a whole load of nearly-new Zegna dress shirts for something like $30.

eBay has revolutionized my wardrobe in the over all scheme of things. But wife will never let me forget a couple of purchases...

5. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Senior member

I have the opposite problem, yesterday I lost an auction for some vintage Edward Green Malverns. I lost by $6. I am still crying in my beer over that loss.

Luckily I am sure I have a fake RLPL shirt coming my way which will only make me feel better [​IMG] I am sure.

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Thanks guys, you've made me feel better. Good stuff.
    IMO, HomerJ's takes the prize though, so far at least. Kakemono's women's coat comes close.

[​IMG] aww come on. macuser just supplanted me.

My wife never lets me forget my dumb purchases:

1) The two Brioni shirts I listed in sales forum which vendor said were 32" sleeve length but actually were 28"

Yeah, how are those T-Rex shirts working out for you? [​IMG]

7. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

A real trap can be buy-it-now. You stumble upon something. Looks unbelievable. Buy-it-now seems almost free. Listed just minutes ago. Better grab it immediately before someone else does. You click.

Always seems like such a good idea at the time, huh?

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I'll solve that problem Homer- let's see that oxxford suit
    That Oxxford was released back into the wild (eBay).

10. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

[​IMG] aww come on. macuser just supplanted me.

I meant that as a compliment! Sorry I didn't express it right.
    It wasn't just the magnitude of the error, so much as the brilliant way you told it
    that got me laughing for so long -- each of the 5 or 6 times I read it! [​IMG]

11. waterpig

waterpig Senior member

I once purchased a Russian bride off ebay. The seller described her as a 34-26-34, with stunning eyes and a back strong enough to lift several sacks of flour. I don't know if he shipped me the wrong woman but what I received fit none of the descriptors, lest the woman consumed the two bags of flour prior to shipment. On top of that, she arrived dead due to asphyxiation, but that's mostly my fault as a I refused to pay for rush shipping as was recommended.

12. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^ Sorry HomerJ, or congratulations, but the golden plate now goes to waterpig! ^

Holy moley!

13. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

my biggest ebay idiocy has to be overbidding (my competitive streak got the best of me) on a burberry jacket that turned out to be fake ...

... I kept it and wore it at the time but now it just sits in my closet and every time I look at it, it is a constant reminder of how young and stupid I once was ... [​IMG]

14. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I once purchased a Russian bride off ebay. The seller described her as a 34-26-34, with stunning eyes and a back strong enough to lift several sacks of flour. I don't know if he shipped me the wrong woman but what I received fit none of the descriptors, lest the woman consumed the two bags of flour prior to shipment. On top of that, she arrived dead due to asphyxiation, but that's mostly my fault as a I refused to pay for rush shipping as was recommended.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Post of the day!

15. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

A DB blazer that I found out I would never wear, even if it did fit.

A black face Timex watch that turned out to be a teeny tiny women's watch.