1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb but Honest Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jpeirpont, Nov 1, 2010.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Is faggot offensive to gays, like Nigger is to Blacks , Kike is to Jews and so on?

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

like the n-word to blacks and k-word to jews, I think the only time it's not offensive is if someone from that community's saying it, in a non-serious manner.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Depends. If you're British then its a cigarette. If you're old school, or past the age of 60, then fag probably = sissy. Queer was used to single out homo's back then.

4. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
  5. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

In the south its a go-to insult for anyone. Outside you can assume its a specific reference to homosexuality.

6. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

As a black guy, I'd think you'd know that it is definitely offensive when uttered by a stranger as a slur, but can have a whole host of different grades of meaning depending on context.

7. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

faggot harkens back to the times when homosexuals were burned alive. Put another faggot on the fire. I can see how that can be offensive, when put into context.

8. rdaws

rdaws Senior member

Good rule of thumb: If a word is used to insult somebody based on an innate characteristic, it is offensive.

Those words exist not to describe something, but rather as an insult that carries all the baggage associated with that characteristic and can't be defended against. It can be context-specific if it's not used to carry the loaded meaning as an insult (by members of the same group, for example), but that still doesn't make it OK to everyone.

9. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

This reminds me of some of Mike Tyson's insults. Like, "You're sweet. I'm going to make sure you kiss me good with those big lips. I'm gonna make you my girlfriend." And the classic, "I'll fuck you 'til you love me, faggot."
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. (watch until the end)

10. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    This reminds me of some of Mike Tyson's insults. Like, "You're sweet. I'm going to make sure you kiss me good with those big lips. I'm gonna make you my girlfriend." And the classic, "I'll fuck you 'til you love me, faggot."
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. (watch until the end)

Wow

11. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

faggot harkens back to the times when homosexuals were burned alive. Put another faggot on the fire. I can see how that can be offensive, when put into context.

Hence the adjective "flaming", as in flaming homosexual, flaming faggot, etc.

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Hence the adjective "flaming", as in flaming homosexual, flaming faggot, etc.

No.

From Dictionary.com:

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

No.

From Dictionary.com:

It seems every word/phrase with an apocryphal etymology is not correct.

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Anyone who has been young and gay, or even young and somewhat effeminate, has almost certainly been called a faggot. By other young people and even by adults. (One of my teachers called me a faggot once!) There's no way you could fail to notice the pejorative sense of the term. In fact, use of the term was typically accompanied by a threat of violence. If you are gay, then, you've probably spent most of your life very keenly aware of what the term means.

Gays have made some effort to co-opt the term. In my experience, gays will sometimes use "fag" affectionately. But I haven't heard "faggot" used affectionately nearly as often.

15. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

16. acl1

acl1 Senior member

i think this was discussed on south park, totally forget which episode. it was surprisingly informative.