• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dufflecoat vs. Barbour Beaufort

Lol1000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

my Barbour ended its life after a good 15 years. I was wondering if anyone had any insights comparing the Beaufort with a dufflecoat. I have not owned a dufflecoat before, but they look pretty comfy and practical and also usable in the same casual way as a Barbour.

However, I ordered a dufflecoat from Cordings a few weeks ago and the fit was absolutely terrible. The armholes were so low, that you could basically only stand with your arms hanging downwards. I haven't even considered ordering a smaller size.

Happy to hear from the experts here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, they’re completely different garments.

Duffle coats are outerwear. The lower arm hole is to allow for layering so you’re not feeling bound up. Perhaps yours just wasn’t a good fit and cut.

I don’t own a duffle coat. I have nothing against them it’s just that I already have a ton of coats and my wife has me on a strict buy one/purge one policy and there’s nothing at this time I want to purge.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
1) Armholes shouldn't be so low that you can't easily move your arms. They also shouldn't be so tight that you can't wear multiple layers.

2) The best known duffle coat maker is Gloverall. I am not sure if there is another well-known duffle coat on the market, though there are certainly other places that make them. I don't know what the quality on Gloverall is like, but there is probably a decent chance that the duffle coat you bought was made by them.

3) I am not a huge duffle coat fan. I don't dislike them: I just don't see the appeal. I think there are other things that look better with tailoring, and other things that look better with casual wear.

4) Do you like the Beaufort? You had one for 15 years. If getting one again excites you, then by all means you should get one. If getting one again doesn't excite you, you probably shouldn't. I think the Barbour works better with both tailoring and casual wear than the duffle coat.

5) Are you considering other options? Chrysalis is supposed to make some nice coats, though the fabric choices can sometimes be excessively British (I've been thinking of picking up their Chiltern). Private White VC makes some nice stuff, though in my experience their armholes are a bit too small. Grenfell makes nice coats (they have a model called the Grampian which might fit your needs). Anglo-Italian had an interesting coat last year (I think they called it their country coat) which they might bring back. A lot of these places will also make a waxed cotton coat of some sort, which might be good if you want to try something different than, but don't want to stary to far from the Beaufort. Good places to look for these things include Cordings, A Hume, Campbell's of Beauly, Tweed Gentleman's Clothier, Holland and Holland, Purdey, O'Connell's, Ben Silver, the Andover Shop, and manufacturer websites. Many of these places will have much better stuff in stock a few weeks from now.

Last edited:

Lol1000

Reaction score
I mean, they’re completely different garments.

Duffle coats are outerwear. The lower arm hole is to allow for layering so you’re not feeling bound up. Perhaps yours just wasn’t a good fit and cut.

I don’t own a duffle coat. I have nothing against them it’s just that I already have a ton of coats and my wife has me on a strict buy one/purge one policy and there’s nothing at this time I want to purge.

What would we be without our wifes nagging about our clothes :D

Lol1000

Reaction score
The world is becoming more and more practical. And I think patch-pockets are usually very comfy and practical. I haven't worn a duffle before, but they look pretty comfy to me. I don't wear suits, mostly casual while tailored though. I think the design of a duffle looks extremely practical for non-business outfits, but I am not 100% convinced yet, especailly after the experience with Cordings.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a Gloverall Monty, but don't own one. I like how they look though.

I have a few Barbours. I like them, but they seem built for different seasons. I would wear a Barbour for spring and fall, whereas I think of duffles as a heavier winter garment.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn a duffle before, but they look pretty comfy to me.

I mentioned that I don’t own a duffle but I’ve considered them and tried many on. Comfy is not a word that comes to mind when I think of them. That’s just my experience.

The material is very thick and stiff. They just wear bulky. The ends of the sleeves are open and not cuffed so there’s no wind resistance. The front closure on a traditional duffle is with the toggle closures only which again, does not offer Ideal wind resistance.

they look cool but for my needs, I’m unable to justify one. I certainly wouldn’t count on it for a go-to winter coat.

just my two cents.

Lol1000

Reaction score
I have a few duffle coats and they are great for the Winter. I am a huge fan of the style, both the traditional models and designer interpretations.

What's the climate like where you live? I used to live in Korea where winters were cold and dry as ****, so I ended up with a Canada Goose. Now I am in Northern Europe, where it is a bit milder but similarly wet like UK weather.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a Gloverall Monty, but don't own one. I like how they look though.

I have a few Barbours. I like them, but they seem built for different seasons. I would wear a Barbour for spring and fall, whereas I think of duffles as a heavier winter garment.

A Gloverall Monty in the Bay Area? Or do you travel to colder climes?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a Loden Coat?
They are warm and waterproof.

O'Connels also has them:

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found duffle coats warm for the fall/winter, but actually not as good in heavy rain, since they're showerproof but not completely waterproof. So it depends on the purpose.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Barbour Bedale and an SEH Kelly duffle and as multiple people have mentioned I don’t find that they overlap in terms of seasonality. You can get into the first/last few weeks of winter with a Barbour if you have the pile liner but only just barely. And the duffle is far too warm to wear in the fall or spring.

Strong recommend on the SEH Kelly duffle if you go that route, though. I think you will find it a bit trimmer than the Cordings one.

Lol1000

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insights and opinions, lads.

I had a look at Chrysalis, which looks really awesome, but after all I decided to extend my Barbour "subscription". I think the proven practicality in various situations is key for me right now. I also have newborn twins, which I need to pick up&carry quite often. With a Barbour you can just wipe of the dirt from their shoes afterwards.

So no Duffle for now, but at least another mid-term goal. To be precise, I was envisioning to wear the Duffle on the weekends before and after sports, where I always find a hoodie quite helpful and comfy when your hair is still wet or you generally just want to relax on the club-sofa in a wrapped-up manner, sort of like a wearable blanket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads