• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dudley Moore's wardrobe in "Arthur" (1981)

doughboysc

Reaction score
The other night, I've watched a little bit of the original Arthur (not the Russell Brand aka ex-Mr. Katy Perry's remake from last year) from 1981 with the late Dudley Moore in it. I like his wardrobe in the film, very 1980s. I've seen the movie many times. I like the scene where Arthur (Dudley Moore) and his butler (the late Sir John Gielgud) shopping at NYC's high-end Bergdorf Goodman department store (before moving the men's store in a different location years later) when BG used to sell off-the-rack Turnbull & Asser dress shirts and neckties back then. I know BG still sells French import Charvet. I like the scene where Liza Minelli's character shoplifts a necktie, gets caught, Arthur fixed the situation and bought the necktie for her to give her father as a gift. Great scene.

Despite that Dudley Moore was short, in the movie, what brands of suits/sportcoats, dress shirts, and neckties did Moore worned when he was Arthur?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Costume Design by
Jane Greenwood

Costume and Wardrobe Department
William A. Campbell .... wardrobe supervisor (as Bill Campbell)
David Charles .... assistant costume designer
Patricia Eiben .... wardrobe supervisor
Helen Tarr .... wardrobe supervisor

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082031/fullcredits#cast

Manufacturers, I don't know. Haven't seen that movie in 30 years.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worned?

doughboysc

Reaction score
Dudley's suits were tailored and fit perfectly. I like his navy three piece suit, with white shirt with collar-bar, and red necktie, very powerful necktie. I saw a picture of him of doing the movie wearing a suit with very 1980s single breasted look and flat front pants (eventhough most high-end shops in NYC in the early pre-Miami Vice 1980s had pleated trousers back then, think of early 1980s episodes of now-defunct ABC soap Ryan's Hope for example?)

Here's picture of Dudley Moore in Arthur (1981).
dudleymooref1.jpg

I like the jacket in that picture, very early 1980s look, what type of single breasted suit jacket that Dudley was wearing? Was it low gorge design? And loved the dress shirt that Dudley had on in that picture, what brand was it? Turnbull & Asser, Charvet, or other? I dig that blue necktie he was wearing, it could match my eyes, LOL!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads