1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

duct tape wallets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NateWV, Mar 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Hah! These are pretty neat. You should definitely sell these on Etsy.

2. juliette2000

juliette2000 Senior member

Thank you very much.

I really didn't come here to try to sell but more to get ideas and opinions. I hoped to get some ideas and see what I could do. Thought it would be funny to get ideas and post pics of my attempt. I realize this is a tough crowd and appreciate the feedback.

Really?

Then why in your first post did you immediately invite people to contact you if they are interested and then go on to state you can personalize them, etc? It seemed to me a pretty clear "Hey, here's some stuff I make. Contact me if you want to buy".

"Get ideas and opinions"? Really. HERE. In THIS forum?

It's one thing that they are fugly and that a cursory review of this forum would have made it clear that they would not be well-received in this forum.....but to try to skirt forum rules to peddle goods and then to try to backtrack when you got called out on it....simply dishonest. You might get a few sales off this, but you probably lost out on even more (or maybe not, this is so not the right audience for this product) by not playing by the rules that the rest of the members who sell abide by.

You seem to have some creativity. Perhaps if you considered using leather or some other reasonable material other than duct tape (the duct tape creations will get nastier over time), you might find a wider audience for your wares.

3. Merovius

Merovius Active Member

You subject yourself to anonymous flamers and public scrutiny whenever you post something on the intarwebz. This is not news.

Im not the most fashionable person, hence my place here on styleforum but my initial reaction was to jest about trailer parks, Nascar and old Milwaukee due to the crudeness of these creations but apparently this takes skill.

WV dude Id take some of the posted suggestions and look into working with different fabrics and materials to develop a more pleasing aesthetic. You may find that more marketable and really if this is how you enjoy spending your time (creating beauty) you're one of the lucky ones.

4. puddin

puddin Senior member

You must do well on Etsy.

BTW it's Duct Tape, not Duck Tape. The fact that it can be used to prevent waterfowl explosions is secondary to it's primary purpose of taping ducts.

Duct tape is actually a terrible thing to use to seal ducts. Use mastic tape. Duct tape degrades quickly and then you have leaky ducts.

5. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

Really?

Then why in your first post did you immediately invite people to contact you if they are interested and then go on to state you can personalize them, etc? It seemed to me a pretty clear "Hey, here's some stuff I make. Contact me if you want to buy".

It's one thing that they are fugly and that a cursory review of this forum would have made it clear that they would not be well-received in this forum.....but to try to skirt forum rules to peddle goods and then to try to backtrack when you got called out on it....simply dishonest. You might get a few sales off this, but you probably lost out on even more (or maybe not, this is so not the right audience for this product) by not playing by the rules that the rest of the members who sell abide by.

You seem to have some creativity. Perhaps if you considered using leather or some other reasonable material other than duct tape (the duct tape creations will get nastier over time), you might find a wider audience for your wares.

I really didn't post here with bad intentions. I did ask if anyone was interested and wanted to get ideas. If anyone gave me something they would like to see or an idea I was going to try to make it and post pictures. If they wanted to buy it, I would have sold it or probably even given it to them.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^don't let the a-holes get to you. While I'd probably never carry one of your creations, they are pretty cool. And I never got the impression you were posting here to drum up business.

7. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

^don't let the a-holes get to you. While I'd probably never carry one of your creations, they are pretty cool. And I never got the impression you were posting here to drum up business.

Thanks. If I was here to drum up business, I would have left after the first several posts.

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Duct tape is actually a terrible thing to use to seal ducts. Use mastic tape. Duct tape degrades quickly and then you have leaky ducts.

I was kidding.

While duct tape is apparently lousy for taping ducts, it's very effective for temporary repairs and first-aid (think pressure bandage). I've even heard of someone duct taping his ski boot to his ski after a total binding failure. I always carry a small amount of tape wrapped around a ski pole or hiking pole if I'm going into the backcountry. Come to think of it, I should throw a roll in the trunk of my car. You never know when you might be snowbound and have the time for some arts and crafts.

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Really?

It's one thing that they are fugly and that a cursory review of this forum would have made it clear that they would not be well-received in this forum.....but to try to skirt forum rules to peddle goods and then to try to backtrack when you got called out on it....simply dishonest.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

OP : do your thang. Obviously many of us think what you're doing is great, though we're prolly not going to be your target audience/ cashcow.

PS: youll get used to the way sf works: after the first clown to chime in with something snarky, it becomes a cock fight to see who can be the biggest dickhead. I sometimes include myself as well though more for dumbfuck questions/statements vs someone who's taking a risk and shown off their craft.....you'll learn o love it.

Pay no attention to the ijits. carry on and if you want to send me a duct fuct, I'll give it to my niece and send you a quality check report.
    Fuck a duck.

11. mrpress

mrpress Active Member

Not something I'd use but they are sort of charming. How long did it take you to make, say, the Steelers purse?

12. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

Not something I'd use but they are sort of charming. How long did it take you to make, say, the Steelers purse?

I am not sure. I would say at least 6 hours or more total. That one took forever because I have never made one like that. That whole purse is made from a single woven flat piece that folds together.

13. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

14. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm impressed; very interesting and unique spin on something most people would just throw away. There is quite a market for these types of "found" materials; there is also a designer who does bags woven from recycled seatbelts and such.

My only hint, as a bag/accessory fan, would be as you get better/more practice, you start to look at some of the different types of luxury makers out there and the types of styles/items they are making. You obviously have skill and patience, and over time as you practice more, they'll gain in refinement.

NOW, if you could just blend that into stylistically interesting stuff, with neat "details," you'd be set. If you are serious about wanting to do something with these, there is definitely a market, but you'll have to have an edge and such more than just a "duct tape wallet." As well, there are already many doing the woven pattern... woven recycled garbage bags, woven recycled tarps, etc. etc. etc.

Good luck!

15. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

Almost have all the wallets made for those who I told would send a free one to. Should have them out this week.

16. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

17. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

Someone sent me a PM asking if I would make a solid blue wallet. Here it is. Let me know if you like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

Ordered the orange. Will have it in a couple of days.

19. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I would buy one if it was affordable and it was a smaller billfold.

20. NateWV

NateWV Active Member

I would buy one if it was affordable and it was a smaller billfold.

What color? Post picture of a wallet you like and I will see what I can do. Will post pic when I am finished.