• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Duck Confit

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can I confit a duck leg the same day I buy it? Recipes are all over the map. Some call for a 12 hour braise, others for a 72 hour marinade.

I was taught that two hours in fat ought to do it. Isn't that right?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your question but just wanted to note that I had duck confit on a pizza this weekend and it was amazing.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought confit didn't actually do anything because the fat molecules are too big to enter the skin. I forget where I read this. Apparently using a steel brush to poke holes in the skin and then brushing fat on after you cook it gives the same results.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Can I confit a duck leg the same day I buy it? Recipes are all over the map. Some call for a 12 hour braise, others for a 72 hour marinade.

I was taught that two hours in fat ought to do it. Isn't that right?

I'm far from a pro, but all the recipes I've read or been given, require about 4-6 hours. Basically until the fat goes clear. However, I've been seeing some what I'll call "proto-confit" recipes, that are 2-3 hours, skin side down, with no fat added. They are counting on the fat to render and provide some braising liquid.

I just rub with salt, minced garlic and thyme, sit in fridge overnight, wash off and confit for 5'ish hours until the fat clears.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, like Pio said, I'm no expert but arent the longest steps in making confit the curing and the braising? If that's the case then you can probably forgo the curing if you dont plan on storing them for a lengthy period of time.

robdpittman

Reaction score
To do it properly, you should render the fat and let the duck cure in its own fat for at least a few days before the final cooking stages.

Traditionally, confit evolved from having to store the duck meat in its own fat outdoors during the winter, before the days of refrigeration, typically for weeks or even months at a time.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dinner:

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you braise it and keep the breast since a nice color?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me. What did you pair it with?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No cassoulet?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Duck confit is awesome, though I've grown sick of seeing it on every single episode of Top Chef and other cooking shows over the last four years.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bought two ducks. Broke 'em down, rendered out the fat. Seasoned the legs and cooked them in the fat (+ thyme and garlic) for two hours. Scored & seasoned the breasts and put in fridge. Took the rest of the carcasses, bones and organs and made stock.

After two hours took the legs off heat and let cool in the fat. Then drained and let rest on paper towels to drain further.

Breasts were sauteed on medium low, skin side down, for about 15 min, then on high on the meat side for about 3 min. Sliced on the bias.

Legs were put back in a hot oven to crisp up the skin.

Sauce = port + stock + small bouquet garni, simmered & reduced to nappÃ

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sitting on a stool, the base of which is smaller than the plate.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
would have been a great item to buy.

The dinner looks fantastic.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.