• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duck Boots

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Maybe this is more of a street style question, but imma try my luck here first. I'm thinking of picking p a pair of L L Bean duck boots, but I'm not sure how high of a rise to get. I'm pretty lazy about putting boots on, so I'm wondering if I can get away with the gumshoe boot (just one step above the moccasin in height). The problem is that I do plenty of walking, and I live in an area that gets a lot of snow (although the sidewalks are well kept, I like walking through the snow). Do you think the gumshoe boots could fly, or should I just suck it up and get the 6"?

Here they are, for reference:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/19069
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31178

Relatedly, do you guys think there are better options out there? I'm a law school-bound college senior and a pretty casual dresser, so I figure I could wear these puppies until the soles wear out.

Thoughts? I hope that duck boots aren't too egregiously preppy for SF. People outside NE probably don't even know what I'm talking about.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
Maybe this is more of a street style question, but imma try my luck here first. I'm thinking of picking p a pair of L L Bean duck boots, but I'm not sure how high of a rise to get. I'm pretty lazy about putting boots on, so I'm wondering if I can get away with the gumshoe boot (just one step above the moccasin in height). The problem is that I do plenty of walking, and I live in an area that gets a lot of snow (although the sidewalks are well kept, I like walking through the snow). Do you think the gumshoe boots could fly, or should I just suck it up and get the 6"?

Here they are, for reference:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/19069
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31178

Relatedly, do you guys think there are better options out there? I'm a law school-bound college senior and a pretty casual dresser, so I figure I could wear these puppies until the soles wear out.

Thoughts? I hope that duck boots aren't too egregiously preppy for SF. People outside NE probably don't even know what I'm talking about.

Love em in the south. they're great. Depends on where in New England you are though. Cambridge or somewhere with a little less snow control. We light snow and heavy mud so I wear that exact pair.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could get away with the low ones if you're wading around in dry snow, it more or less just brushes off your sock. Anything wetter, and you're going to want a nice high boot.

I would just go with the 6 inch. Get a little more warmth and support.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking boots, would love to cop some, but i'll be going going back back to cali

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Love em in the south. they're great. Depends on where in New England you are though. Cambridge or somewhere with a little less snow control. We light snow and heavy mud so I wear that exact pair.

Interesting - I'm in New Hampshire right now, but will move next year either to Cambridge or Connecticut.

Wack that you can get them in the South, I've never seen L L Bean stores south of Connecticut.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
You could get away with the low ones if you're wading around in dry snow, it more or less just brushes off your sock. Anything wetter, and you're going to want a nice high boot.

I would just go with the 6 inch. Get a little more warmth and support.

I think you're right. I'm just being lazy - I hate taking more than a second to put shoes on. But gumshoes don't make any sense in NH winters.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bean boots are horrible winter boots.

They're made for muddy woods, mud implying liquid water.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Interesting - what's the problem? A lot of people around here have 'em, and seem satisfied.

Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Bean boots are horrible winter boots.

They're made for muddy woods, mud implying liquid water.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
Interesting - what's the problem? A lot of people around here have 'em, and seem satisfied.

Slippery on ice in my experience... not great for icy snowpack traction ie sidewalks.
Certainly is durable and a classic.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Hey man, L.L. Bean is a catalog/online company in 99% of the country, so sure you can get Bean Boots in the South.

I recently got a pair of the gums and wore them up to the NC mountains to cut down a Christmas tree with my daughter this past weekend. I'd say there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground and it was already spilling into my socks.

If you are in the NE, go with the 6".

FWIW, I got the insulated ones and I love them. Very warm, but not the best on ice. That being said, nothing is great on ice.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
FWIW, I got the insulated ones and I love them. Very warm, but not the best on ice. That being said, nothing is great on ice.

Insulated is the only way to go for the winter, but they are lousy on the ice. I'd look for boots with a better tread.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either people intentionally don't discuss how slippery these boots really are in tightly packed snow or ice patches (common in city environments) or they actually are slip-resistant (which i doubt) And it's that feeling that's always prevented this city kid from buying a pair.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Man, you guys have given me a lot to think about with this slipping-business. I never regret vetting my purchases at SF first.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads