• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dubya's tux.

marc37

Reaction score
dubyastux5mz.jpg
This picture was taken of Bush at his inauguration 3 years ago. l think his tux was rented. Just look at the awful fit: sleeves too long, not shirt cuffs showing, the jacket is too big and wrinkly. Look at the sholders, they look horrible - too rigid. lt looks like a fused suit. Hey look (l've just noticed), notched lapels on his tux.[:0][:0][:0] l love his boots though. Boots with soots (suits).[
biggrin.gif
] What do other people think? How about abit of discussion on this subject. P.S: sorry about the picture quality, it was the best l could manage.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
Actually, I'm quite sure it's a peaked lapel tux. Almost positive in fact. I think it's just the awful lighting in the picture that makes it look otherwise. I know for a fact that he wore all peaked lapel and one button tuxes to all the balls/parties this year too.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am 99% certain that picture is not from his first inagural as President.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
No, it certainly isn't, as I too am positive that was from four years ago. I still contend that he's wearing a proper peaked tux as this was the first thing I noticed four years ago as well as this year, as I was alas, wearing a notched counterpart. It doesn't help that Bush doesn't photograph well, but I also think his tuxes really aren't that horribly fitting as everyone likes to make it out to seem.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently noted both Bob Beckel and Bill Richardson offering grudging compliments on the President successfully liberating more than 50 million enslaved subjects in Afghanistan and Iraq ... and the consequent climate which seems to be leading to a Palestinian state and an independent Lebanon.
Having been afraid to visit the latter, the country of my father's birth, since I was old enough to make the trip alone out of a sense of responsibility to insure that my children continue to have a father, I don't particularly care whether the President's last sleeve button is buttoned or not.
It does seem however, now that the success of his foreign policy is being acknowledged by many of those on the other side of the aisle, that almost any excuse from dress to the inability to say nuclear provides fodder for disparagement. Enough, I say.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
Mr. Kabbaz, couldn't have said it better myself. For those who wish to see actually see a better picture of the President, I submit the following: taken at one of the candle light dinners in D.C.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great shot, D.C. However, given the detail of your row and seat discernible from the angle and number of people in front of you ... aren't you risking being outed?
biggrin.gif

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
Interesting point, though I'm not too worried.
wink.gif
I'm sure that if someone hates me that much to track down the PIC table seating list and then proceed to match that up with the exact position from the photo... well let's just say I'm sure there's other, much easier ways to figure out who I am. Anyway, I actually wanted to create a thread awhile back about my sartorial experiences during the inaugural festivities but feared a political flame war. Oh well, it was a fun week anyway.\t Here's another shot of the Vice-President wearing a, surprise surprise, shaw tux. (Unfortunately the picture didn't come out nearly as nice as the one taken of the President.)

mano

Reaction score
Shameless shill alert.

Doesn't W wear Oxxford?

I'm selling an Oxxford peaked lapel tux, new with tags tux on eBay starting Tuesday evening.  Size 48R. Would be willing to sell it to a SF member before it's posted.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 99% certain that picture is not from his first inagural as President.
I'd say much older...from his gubernatorial ball perhaps. His hair hasn't looked anything like that for years and he looks younger than even 2000 in that picture.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say much older...from his gubernatorial ball perhaps. His hair hasn't looked anything like that for years and he looks younger than even 2000 in that picture.
But look at his boots. That's the presidential seal on them. Even if he owned the boots before he was elected president, do you think that he'd allow himself to be photographed in them?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
But look at his boots. That's the presidential seal on them. Even if he owned the boots before he was elected president, do you think that he'd allow himself to be photographed in them?
Yeah, that has me puzzled, too. Yet I know he wore an SB peak DJ to both inagurals, and I know that Mrs. Bush did not wear that dress to either. Maybe they're boots he got for his father's inaugural?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, that has me puzzled, too. Yet I know he wore an SB peak DJ to both inagurals, and I know that Mrs. Bush did not wear that dress to either. Maybe they're boots he got for his father's inaugural?
But there are 8 or so inaugural balls. Is it possible that Mrs. Bush changed clothes between a couple of them? Edit: And the more I look at that picture, the more I think that it's not a notch lapel jacket.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This year, there were 13.  They go to all of them, 5-10 minutes each, and get home by 10:00 (or pretty close).  They don't change.

Plus, he looks too young.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
This article seems to indicate, the picture comes from the Black Tie and Boots Ball held the day before the 2001 inauguration. Note the first lady's dress is the same. Scroll to the bottom of this page for another pic from his governor days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads