• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dubai

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you staying in the city, jumeriah or zayed road?
Jumeirah Beach, but I will have to check quite a lot of locations in the city itself.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Roy,

Are you back, how was it? which places did you try?
I had to cancil my trip due to a family illness, I was very disappointed, but I hope to get there later this year.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Feb. 21 2005,12:20) Roy, Are you back, how was it? which places did you try?
I had to cancil my trip due to a family illness, I was very disappointed, but I hope to get there later this year.
Sorry to hear it.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back, but the A/C and the hot temperatures outside have really gotten to me... I stayed at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, but Dubai was a bit of a disappointment for me while at the same time it was a huge succes. What I noticed is that pretty much all of the Social life of Dubaians is revolving about hugo shopping malls. After work they meet at shopping malls rather than at a bar or restaurant. This is mainly because restaurants and bars are not allowed to serve alcohol. This is only allowed in four and five star hotels. That's why all the 'cool' clubs are part of the hotels. Unfortunately I was sick pretty much all of my stay in Dubai, so except for some business meetings I was staying at my hotel room most of the time. I did see a lot of the shopping malls though, i'm scouting a location for my own business there. But it's pretty tough. There are too many businesses and very little space. I might have found a really good location though and hope to finalise things within several weeks. The thing I found when looking at shopping malls there is that it's very hard to come by very good quality items there. They have a lot of brand names and they do love flagship stores. But I haven't found a single shop that sells Attolini, Borrelli or Kiton. Canali, Pal Zileri and Corneliani all have several flag ship stores in Dubai. For tailormade clothing, most resort to local tailors I think. Because i've seen a lot of local tailors. But i'm going back within a couple of weeks though, so i can post more on restaurant/club reviews. For now here is just one picture from the view of the balcony of my hotel room: It's the Burj al Arab hotel. The only 7-star hotel in the world.
burj.jpg
When I get the rest of my pics sorted i'll post more.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Feb. 09 2005,22:17) Are you staying in the city, jumeriah or zayed road?
I just got back, but the A/C and the hot temperatures outside have really gotten to me... I stayed at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, but Dubai was a bit of a disappointment for me while at the same time it was a huge succes. What I noticed is that pretty much all of the Social life of Dubaians is revolving about hugo shopping malls. After work they meet at shopping malls rather than at a bar or restaurant. This is mainly because restaurants and bars are not allowed to serve alcohol. This is only allowed in four and five star hotels. That's why all the 'cool' clubs are part of the hotels. Unfortunately I was sick pretty much all of my stay in Dubai, so except for some business meetings I was staying at my hotel room most of the time. I did see a lot of the shopping malls though, i'm scouting a location for my own business there. But it's pretty tough. There are too many businesses and very little space. I might have found a really good location though and hope to finalise things within several weeks. The thing I found when looking at shopping malls there is that it's very hard to come by very good quality items there. They have a lot of brand names and they do love flagship stores. But I haven't found a single shop that sells Attolini, Borrelli or Kiton. Canali, Pal Zileri and Corneliani all have several flag ship stores in Dubai. For tailormade clothing, most resort to local tailors I think. Because i've seen a lot of local tailors. But i'm going back within a couple of weeks though, so i can post more on restaurant/club reviews. For now here is just one picture from the view of the balcony of my hotel room: It's the Burj al Arab hotel. The only 7-star hotel in the world.
burj.jpg
I think the shopping mall, as a social scene may have been something exculsive to the people you were mixing with. Mostly I tend to go to resteraunts, bars etc. albeit those in hotels, which is the case in most of asia anyway (not just the middle east). JBH was like a railway station when I last went. Its old a battered now (for Dubai standards). I would ceratinly suggest a different hotel for next time. You are opening office there (the tax benifits
biggrin.gif
). Obviously it depends on what you are doing, but did you see International City? Okay its a little far out, (on the highway to Oman) but its cheap, and seems like a good concept, don't know how it will be in practice though. Last time I heard, there was absoloutly no space at all avalible currently on Sh. Zayed Road, (but of course Burj Dubai will have plenty of it) (my familys co. has an office there) and the rents are massive. Media and Internet city also seem good depending on the nature of buisness.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ Feb. 22 2005,19:45)
Originally Posted by Styleman,Feb. 09 2005,22:17
burj.jpg
I think the shopping mall, as a social scene may have been something exculsive to the people you were mixing with. Mostly I tend to go to resteraunts, bars etc. albeit those in hotels, which is the case in most of asia anyway (not just the middle east). JBH was like a railway station when I last went. Its old a battered now (for Dubai standards). I would ceratinly suggest a different hotel for next time. You are opening office there (the tax benifits
biggrin.gif
). Obviously it depends on what you are doing, but did you see International City? Okay its a little far out, (on the highway to Oman) but its cheap, and seems like a good concept, don't know how it will be in practice though. Last time I heard, there was absoloutly no space at all avalible currently on Sh. Zayed Road, (but of course Burj Dubai will have plenty of it) (my familys co. has an office there) and the rents are massive. Media and Internet city also seem good depending on the nature of buisness.
We choose JBH mainly because of the Wild Wadi park for the children. For me it was a business trip, but there were some people that wanted to tag along for the shopping in Dubai. I wasn't to impressed with the JBH, the service was terrible to be honest. I was pretty shocked to hear that just last week 80 people had gotten food poisining in that hotel. We deal in the upper upper market furniture. When comparing to to tailors i'd say Kiton/Attolini, or Bentley/Rolls Royce if you're more into car comparisons. Basically we want to set up a showroom in Dubai and from there on supply the Middle East. I tried to get into the Burjuman, Mall of the Emirares and the Gardens Shopping mall. But they were all completely booked. But I may have found some space elsewhere in the city. I'd like to avoid Karama and Sharjah. We basically want to bring our brands to the Middle East and supply furniture shops with them. So basically we want one flagship store as an example of what we can do and show to interested parties. Dubai seems like the ideal place to do that. Rents are really massive, on the other hand, labour is cheap and there is no tax.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We choose JBH mainly because of the Wild Wadi park for the children. For me it was a business trip, but there were some people that wanted to tag along for the shopping in Dubai.

I wasn't to impressed with the JBH, the service was terrible to be honest. I was pretty shocked to hear that just last week 80 people had gotten food poisining in that hotel.

We deal in the upper upper market furniture. When comparing to to tailors i'd say Kiton/Attolini, or Bentley/Rolls Royce if you're more into car comparisons.

Basically we want to set up a showroom in Dubai and from there on supply the Middle East. I tried to get into the Burjuman, Mall of the Emirares and the Gardens Shopping mall. But they were all completely booked. But I may have found some space elsewhere in the city. I'd like to avoid Karama and Sharjah.

We basically want to bring our brands to the Middle East and supply furniture shops with them. So basically we want one flagship store as an example of what we can do and show to interested parties. Dubai seems like the ideal place to do that. Rents are really massive, on the other hand, labour is cheap and there is no tax.

The top brands tend to locate in Wafi and Emirates Towers at the moment, Mall of the Emirares (with HN you can be sure it will be a prestigious mall) and the Gardens Shopping Mall seem like very good prospects (did you look at Dubai Mall, in the upcoming Dubailand), but as with all things in Dubai, you have to wait untill it is a reality; after all eveyone thought Mercarto and Al Gahurair City were going to be sucesses, look at them now.

A lot of prestigious furniture showrooms tend to be located on Al Maktoum Street. The one with Versace and Gucci on in Deira, I'm sure you would have used it to get to the back of the city, Sharjah etc. if you stayed in Jumeriah.

I don't think ** is a good option IMO. Whenever I have been it has been sparse to say the least. I personaly find it one of my favorites to shop in, but I always feel that the shops there cant be doing well.

Just a though, but the style furniture tastes there will vary quite a bit from Euopean tastes. I mean, okay you have a whole world market there, with all the new homes being built, and the large amount of European, Russian, and South Asian purchasers (all of which have very different tastes in furniture) As well as the huge amout of tourists from the rest of the arab world, who are immensly rich, and come to Dubai severaly times a year to shop, (E.g. Lebanese, Saudis, Jordinians, Iranians etc.) All of the arab friends I have do this.
But they tend to want very gaudy stuff, like Louis XI, and Italian renesance furniture, and gold is pivotal. So be careful, I don't think there is any market for Tudor Welsh Oak..

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fun thing is that we have some brands that offer gold/silver/platinum furniture surroundings
wink.gif
We also can create 'bespoke' furniture. You can even hand in a sketch of your own and we'll manufacture it
smile.gif
So we expect no real problems concerning taste etc
smile.gif

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh and of course any retail space on the Palm (Jumeriah or Deria, I think Jebel Ali will be a failure) would certainly worth a look.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The fun thing is that we have some brands that offer gold/silver/platinum furniture surroundings
wink.gif
We also can create 'bespoke' furniture. You can even hand in a sketch of your own and we'll manufacture it
smile.gif
So we expect no real problems concerning taste etc
smile.gif
I'll be sure to contact you when my family furnishes their houses their. (We have purchased on Palm Jumeriah, The World, Jumeriah Islands, The Montgomory, and a Penthouse in Burj Dubai - some personal use some for rental/investment)

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and of course any retail space on the Palm (Jumeriah or Deria, I think Jebel Ali will be a failure) would certainly worth a look.
Actually, I don't think furniture would be good on the Palm islands. Because basically, everybody who would shop there already furnished their appartment
wink.gif
Mall of Emirates seemed excellent to me, close to the Jumeirah Area, and close to the Dubai Marina and Palm Islands. BTW, Check out the MarinaScape project Penthouse on www.marinascape.com , really great
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics