Dual Passport Holders

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MaSoB, May 24, 2010.

1. blackjack

blackjack Senior member

When I looked into becoming a naturalized US citizen, I was told I would have to renounce my Canadian and give up that passport. Did the immigration attorney give me bad info? Can you actually be a US citizen and a citizen of another country? I thought this was one of those uniquely "American" things, that you cannot be a citizen of the US and another country?

I have both US and Canadian, and my understanding is that it only might be a problem if you're serving in the military. The US is pretty open-minded about dual nationality. I know plenty of people who successfully claimed a second Irish passport As a US citizen, you are required to enter or re-enter the country on your US passport etc. The problems more often occur with other countries who may lay claim on you for military service etc. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

For example, if there are any ethnic Koreans on this board, even though they may have been born and raised in the United States, they could be conscripted into the ROK Army if they visit South Korea. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1018.html

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

3. cross22

cross22 Senior member

If you live in DC or NY look into shops that cater to UN, WHO, or World bank employees. They carry a UN passport in addition to their personal passports so they would need something like that.

4. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

The military servive requirement is true for Greece too.

Also, this:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

US law does not prevent maintaining a prior citizenship.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country.

It would be my third country, not second.

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Wow, I am impressed. Triple citizenship!? I thought I was special with two. [​IMG]

Another tally for dual citizenship without being born in the US.

6. Pundit

Pundit Senior member

I hold US and British passports and have a Hartmann leather passport holder that I use. Mine is unmarked, but I have seen them with a USA designation on the exterior (bad idea I think). The cover easily carries the 2; one slips into a full width internal pocket and cannot be seen while the other is held in a half width pocket (and is more easily removed).

7. B2C2V

B2C2V Senior member

Would it be a problem (for US immigration checkpoint) if your departure stamp is on one passport and entry stamp is on another?

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Would it be a problem (for US immigration checkpoint) if your departure stamp is on one passport and entry stamp is on another?

As long as you have the proper documentation for entry, it will not stop you from being admitted; but, it could cause security problems.

9. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Not a problem, but it will cost you an extra 30 mins in the immigration office while the pissed-off officer fills-out additional paperwork and makes a gazillion extra copies of your documents. I won't make that mistake again at Australian Immigration! [​IMG]

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i use a passport holder from braun duffel. its just the normal kind like this:

[​IMG]

i just slide in the cover from one passport on one side and the other cover under the other side. it still folds flat but is of course a bit bulky. it only holds my passport and airline miles cards and nothing else.

as to what i do for immigration procedure with two passports:

i only use my other passport when entering and exiting the country which it was issued. so if its france, then i'll use both the french and US passports (to have both stamped) upon entry and exit to france only. you have to let them know that you're a dual citizen.

when entering/exiting another country other than the US (I have my US passport stamped). so basically I prioritize one passport for the bulk of travel.

11. TravelGuy88

TravelGuy88 New Member

I know this place on Madison Avenue called Ambassador Luggage carries dual passport holders.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Us doesn't have departure stamps

I have had people get confused when I arrive in certain countries and I don't have an exit stamp from the country I just left

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I use one passport for most of my travel. I use the other pretty much only for places (like brazil) that take your passport for a few days to give you a visa.

14. paydirt

paydirt New Member

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

as of next year, I will have dual citizenship - in the US and in Korea. My mother and sister hold US and Australian passports due to my sister's birth there. I wouldn't mind having a third passport, in Japan or something.