1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Passport Holders

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MaSoB, May 24, 2010.

1. MaSoB

MaSoB Well-Known Member

Do you hold citizenship in more than one country?

Side topic - can you recommend any good leather passport wallets that hold 2 passports well?

2. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Yes. Three. I could possibly have picked up a fourth by marriage, but the Republic of South Viet Nam is no longer around, even if they did allow dual nationalities.

3. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

US citizen and passport holder via birth. British citizen and passport holder from my mother.

I could apply for tri-citizenship and go Italian too, but their process is crazy I guess.

I've never seen a passport holder that holds multiple passports.

4. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I've got citizenship in the US, Norway & Germany. I don't get the need for one holder capable of containing them all. I prefer to keep them seprate actually; I feel like it looks sketchy to be flipping through them at security.

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I've got citizenship in the US, Norway & Germany. I don't get the need for one holder capable of containing them all. I prefer to keep them seprate actually; I feel like it looks sketchy to be flipping through them at security.

I think its kinda fun to carry more than one. Especially when a US passport doesn't get you a ton of smiles in some places.

6. paydirt

paydirt New Member

Australian/British passorts..so glad I have the British one, definitely gives alot of freedom.
    I am looking for a dual passport holder also

7. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I think its kinda fun to carry more than one. Especially when a US passport doesn't get you a ton of smiles in some places.

carrying more than one is great. Whichever line is shorter at whatever airport, that's where you go. I just don't see the benefit of keeping both in one holder. Pickpockets, eggs in basket, etc.

8. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

carrying more than one is great. Whichever line is shorter at whatever airport, that's where you go. I just don't see the benefit of keeping both in one holder. Pickpockets, eggs in basket, etc.

True, having both in one holder is asking for a thief.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

When I looked into becoming a naturalized US citizen, I was told I would have to renounce my Canadian and give up that passport. Did the immigration attorney give me bad info? Can you actually be a US citizen and a citizen of another country? I thought this was one of those uniquely "American" things, that you cannot be a citizen of the US and another country?

10. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

dunno Pio. I was born here, so Jus soli made me American, and my other two are Jus sanguinis through my parents. I'm pretty sure my in-laws retained their Turkish citizenship when they got naturalized back in the 70s though.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I need to consult an actual IRL immigration lawyer, I guess. I would like to naturalize but I would not like to give up my Canadian passport.

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I need to consult an actual IRL immigration lawyer, I guess. I would like to naturalize but I would not like to give up my Canadian passport.

+1

AFAIK the US has been cool with duals and more for the last 30 years.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I think you are right Pio,

That being said, they don't really go through and audit your passport use. I think what typically happens is someone will have non-US nationality from a parent and they get to carry both until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

Once they get to that point, there aren't exactly people going around saying "hey you, get rid of that passport"

In your case though, the "hey you" guy might actually exist as a part of the naturalization process and you might be forced to renounce it (you will be required to state under oath that you have renounced it).

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

When I looked into becoming a naturalized US citizen, I was told I would have to renounce my Canadian and give up that passport. Did the immigration attorney give me bad info? Can you actually be a US citizen and a citizen of another country? I thought this was one of those uniquely "American" things, that you cannot be a citizen of the US and another country?

Your immigration attorney was right; however, just because the US doesn't consider you a citizen of another country and just because you've renounced citizenship from that other country, does not mean that the other country no longer considers you its citizen.

In addition, there are also some ways to become a US citizen that don't require you to renounce other citizenship, but these are rare. In my case, I became a US citizen automatically when my parents were naturalized; however, because I was under 18, I did not have to take the oath of citizenship and therefore did not have to renounce any other citizenship. So, I am now a dual citizen of the United States and Macedonia.

15. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Once they get to that point, there aren't exactly people going around saying "hey you, get rid of that passport"

This is how I understand it as well. I've been told that the law is actually conspicuously silent on multiple-citizenship. Basically, you can have it, but the US doesn't explicitly recognize it in most cases (Israel is an exception). The idea is that whatever else you may be is immaterial: in the eyes of the govt you are a US citizen, full stop.

This may only be relevant for those of us born on US soil to parents who are imports. If you go about actively seeking US citizenship, it may be totally different.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So basically, my long ago lawyer was technically correct but in practice, I could keep my Canadian passport?

Macedonia, eh? Had a great friend as a young adult who's parents were imports from there. Was a great guy to party with but became that guy who froze his life at 20, if you know what I mean.

17. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

In addition, there are also some ways to become a US citizen that don't require you to renounce other citizenship, but these are rare. In my case, I became a US citizen automatically when my parents were naturalized; however, because I was under 18, I did not have to take the oath of citizenship and therefore did not have to renounce any other citizenship. So, I am now a dual citizen of the United States and Macedonia.

Ah, ok. This makes sense.

I was born in the US and granted Australian citizenship soon after (my mum's nationality). I was always told I would have to choose when I turned 18, but sometime before that date the US changed the rules to allow me to keep the Australian citizenship. The third one was a more recent addition and is largely honorary and symbolic (I haven't bothered to get that passport).

18. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

This varies from country to country, if you have a Norwegian citizenship and you get another, you automatically lose the Norwegian one.

19. red120

red120 Well-Known Member

Three citizenships, though I only have one on-hand when traveling.. being a dual citizen seems to get increased scrutiny at border security.

AFAIK, the only way to be a dual/triple citizenship and have US citizenship is to be born in the US. Have a friend from Canada who tried to gain US citizenship, and he was told he'd have to renounce other citizenships first.

20. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I have three; I agree that it looks a bit dodgy to be riffling through them in front of immigration officials so I generally just travel on one, whichever one is more convenient for the journey.

A holder for two or more passports would actually be quite helpful for travelling with children. I've never seen one but surely they must exist.