1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Citizenship

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by unjung, May 21, 2011.

1. unjung

unjung Senior member

I'm UK and USA. Are there jobs in the EU though? I didn't know that.

I checked out EURES and do see some stuff I could likely swing into. However, I plan to either go over with a North American company, or network into something. I know a few Dutchies in my industry here.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

That moving/working in the EU thing is huge. The American expats my company has in Europe all tell me that those working visas are a nightmare

+1. an EU passport is huge.

I have US/Israel, I only use my israeli when I need to send a passport out for a visa and I don't have time to use my US.

3. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Can't have dual with China.

Do you mean China won't let you or?

Until I think 1976 Canada didn't allow it.

Until 1991 Italy didn't.

When I was in Canada I was Cdn.

When I was in Italy I was Italian.

[​IMG]

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

USA (birth) and Nigeria (parents).

5. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I thought Kent Wang had dual, based on my conversation with him, but maybe he's only there on a visa?

Was he from mainland? If so, then it's not possible. Hongkong and Taiwan are different stories though.

Do you mean China won't let you or?

Mainland China won't let me.

6. Gattopardo

Gattopardo Active Member

USA/Eire here, through my parents. Using it at the moment to work in the EU, and I very much enjoy the "no hassles" aspect.

7. Eason

Eason Senior member

I've never looking into teaching in the EU- I don't think the demand is there, since most EU people already speak English quite well.

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

I've never looking into teaching in the EU- I don't think the demand is there, since most EU people already speak English quite well.

I wouldn't think so. I have a friend who's going to Italy next year from China, but he teaches science in English private schools, so it's a bit different.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

There are plenty of English language schools but

1) Plenty of potential teachers. Ranging from real teachers to drunk college kids taking a year off.

2) The better ones often want native English speakers so that rules out Americans.

10. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

Try looking into Central Europe, Czech Republic, Poland, etc.

11. Homme

Homme Senior member

Australia (birth) & Lebanon (parents)

12. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I'm UK and USA. Are there jobs in the EU though? I didn't know that.

This is me also. Trying to get Italian also, but they are pretty stingy and apparently don't like tri-citizens.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I'm a US citizen...but my grandparents are from denmark. They are naturalized now but were not when my father was born so I suppose my father was a danish citizen at that point (I've seen a photo from their citizenship ceremony so it wasn't until years after my dad was born). Can I work my way into a Danish passport?

I know that the USA tends to frown on any sort of dual citizenship, but is there some backdoor way to sneak this one in there?

14. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I'm a US citizen...but my grandparents are from denmark. They are naturalized now but were not when my father was born so I suppose my father was a danish citizen at that point (I've seen a photo from their citizenship ceremony so it wasn't until years after my dad was born).

I know that the USA tends to frown on any sort of dual citizenship, but is there some backdoor way to sneak this one in there?

USA does not give a shit about dual citizenships. At least not proactively. Unless it is Cuba, NK, or something like that.

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

I'm a US citizen...but my grandparents are from denmark. They are naturalized now but were not when my father was born so I suppose my father was a danish citizen at that point (I've seen a photo from their citizenship ceremony so it wasn't until years after my dad was born). Can I work my way into a Danish passport? I know that the USA tends to frown on any sort of dual citizenship, but is there some backdoor way to sneak this one in there?
    http://www.dansk-konsulat.org/docs/A...sh_citizen.pdf From what I can tell, your dad needs to have received his Danish citizenship, and assuming he has it, then you need to apply before you turn 22. If your dad didn't apply for his, then you're out.

16. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

USA/Eire here, through my parents. Using it at the moment to work in the EU, and I very much enjoy the "no hassles" aspect.

I'm the reverse - Irish citizen, naturalized US. Gattopardo, do remember that when you're in Ireland, you're subject to Irish law, not US. That's the only diference, and it's not like you're going to get conscripted [​IMG]

Also - only the English call it Eire. The irony that the Irish prefer the English word for Ireland and the English prefer the Irish word is not lost on anyone.

17. TourbillonTurk.

TourbillonTurk. Senior member

I´m also a dual citizen Turkish & British. In regards to what you do with a dutch citizenship? Fly to London, rent a classic cult car! Drive to Paris then head south to the cote d´azur>portofino>tuscany etc. etc. Travel freely in Europe [​IMG]

18. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Becoming Dutch will be your greatest accomplishment.