• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DSW shoe surprise

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
POSTSCRIPT: When I returned these, I found another pair that had seen more shopwear. The results, frankly, weren't pretty. As such, I can't recommend these, as much as I'd like to see a U.S. shoemaker prosper.

I stopped by DSW today to see if any of the remaining AEs had hit deep discount. No luck there -- only a few black Holts and Fairfaxes left, and still priced at $100. But while searching the sale rack I came across a brand I hadn't seen before, "Neil M." The pair that caught my eye was a plaintoe blucher in a whiskey color. I pulled them out and was surprised by what I found. The last was decent, with a slightly chiseled toe reminiscent of the Holt. The leather had a bit of character, lacking the plasticky shine of most of the DSW offerings. (The leather even smelled like leather, rather than chemicals.) And then I looked inside and read the label: "Made in the U.S.A."

Surprised, I looked around for some other models. I only found a few, and those appeared to be welted. I was impressed by this, so I tried on the bluchers and did my best to crease them. They held up pretty well, despite a good bit of walking and several deep bends to really stretch the leather.

So who here has seen this brand? I'd like to hear thoughts on these shoes, particularly from our shoe experts. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the "made in the U.S." label, particularly on a shoe that was selling (on clearance) for only $70. While I'm not suggesting they're the quality of AE, I wonder if they might represent decent value for someone looking to pay $75 or less for a pair of shoes. They seemed much nicer than anything else at DSW, other than the AEs.

I bought the bluchers to take a pic for this thread, and I hope to post it in the next day or two.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread isn't worth much without pics, I suppose. So here they are.

Bear in mind that even the best of shoes tends to look manhandled after living the hard life at DSW. I've done nothing to these other than walk around in them -- no polish, no leather conditioner, no nothing. The leather is fairly supple, not stiff, like some of the lesser English makers. These even come with shoe bags, albeit somewhat flimsy bags.

Picture005.jpg

pix01.jpg

Picture004.jpg

With the RM Williams Craftsman, for comparison. The toe is less chiseled on the DSW shoe, so I know it won't be to everyone's taste, but that's not really my point here.

Picture006.jpg

These next ones were taken outside just now. The setting winter sun makes the finish look more harsh and glossy than it really is.

Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Thoughts?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look fairly nice, certainly servicable. Did the other colors look nice as well?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a small update. A Google search suggests that Neil M. is an Arkansas maker that has only recently created its own brand name. Previously they've done contract work for other labels. They appear to retail for about $200, and Nordstrom carries them.

Several of the pairs on Nordstrom don't look so nice, so this may shoot my find in the foot. I'll have to see more in person. But I'm still glad to see a U.S. shoe manufacturer making a go of it.

(Also, I have to say, this pair of bluchers seems much nicer than the offerings of its direct competition, J&M.)

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
I saw those shoes in the local shoe store that is our authorized AE retailer. That said, they carry about six kinds of AE and one of them was discontinued awhile ago. I don't think they really sell AE shoes at all.

They had the Neil M. shoes on the shelf below AE. I asked the salesman about Alden and he teared up a bit. Once upon a time he sold Alden shoes. Then he tried to sell me the Neil M. "Gentry" model saddle shoe in burgundy pebble grain. He said Neil M. was well known for making very good women's shoes.

I went home and looked up the brand and found the same few sites that you found. I did not buy the shoes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After reading the company's brochure, I wonder if the signature line is made to a higher standard than the others. I think I'll contact them Monday and see what I can find out. I very much like the idea of supporting a U.S. shoemaker, if the shoes aren't junk.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
From the pics I can't see how you could have done wrong. As you say they are made in USA and a point worth considering in this purchase.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some Neil M. casual Chelseas at an independent shoe store in Newport Beach a few months ago. They actually looked pretty good. However, I abstained from purchase for three reasons: (1) I had never heard of Neil M. and knew nothing about their quality (even though I was favorably impressed by the boots); (2) The price wasn't super--about $210 as I recall; (3) I don't need much in the way of this kind of footgear at this time.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
From the pics I can't see how you could have done wrong. As you say they are made in USA and a point worth considering in this purchase.

I hadn't really planned on keeping them, as they're a bit too square-toed for my tastes. (I've been careful not to damage them or mark the soles, and they were already a bit shopworn.) Just sharing something I found interesting with fellow forumites. But if they were decent quality, I'd consider suggesting them as an option to folks looking for a relatively affordable shoe.

Unfortunately, I guess it will take a guinea pig to really find out how the shoes will hold up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads