1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DSW/Filene's in NYC Union Square

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Oct 24, 2004.

1. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Hi guys,

I chanced upon DSW / Filene's Basement today at Union Square (right in front of the subway stop). They officially open on Monday, but there was a preview going on. I was impressed with the shop floor environment, which was terrific for a discount store. They had Oxxford suits (~$1000), Zegna sweaters (~$125) and Brioni shirts (small selection ~$199). DSW had a reasonably nice selection of shoes from Florsheim, Bostonian, J&M, Bruno Magli, etc.

I also came across shirts from Marteli/Marioni or something like that. Does anyone know about this brand?

Finally, I have a question about my watchband. It is crocodile skin. It has lost its luster, probably due to dust sticking on it. What can I do to restore it? I tried taking it to the guy who shines my shoe but he just shook his head.

Thanks,
    gregory

2. gregory

gregory Senior Member

I think getting someone to shine your shoes instead of doing yourself is a very New York thing. It's an irresponsible way to spend money for a recent graduate like myself, but I could never shine my shoes as well as they can, and I can't never iron my shirts as well as the drycleaners (rather, their machines) can.

3. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior Member

Yes living in NYC does afford one to get their shoes shined at a rather reasonable cost considering the time it might take you to do it in your free time if you have any. I know when I was working in NYC my company actually had a guy who would come in every day and would shine whoever's shoes for like $2 plus tip - and from what I could tell he did rather well for himself.
    Anyway as per your watchstrap they take alot of abuse because of how they are bent everyday - my suggestion would be to go to wherever you got the watch and have them attach a new one. I mean if you can afford to get your shoes shined; you should be able to afford a new watchstrap.............

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

If the shirt is "Marol", I would recommend it.

koji

5. HeyYouItsMike

HeyYouItsMike Well-Known Member

The new Filene's rocks. The Zegna sweaters are nice, but can be had at Barney's Warehouse sales for about $50 if you're patient.