• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Drycleaning problem - tiny puckering of fabric on UNfused coat

cvac

Reaction score
After taking a non-fused suit to be dry cleaned at a supposedly reputable cleaner (they charged $20 to clean the suit), there is some tiny puckering in the quarters of the jacket, a couple inches under the pocket flaps. The suit had never been dry cleaned before and the puckering problem doesn't really seem to be occurring elsewhere on the jacket.

The person who sold me the suit is very reputable and tells me they have never heard of this problem before in six years of selling this line of suits, so the problem is attributable to the cleaners. The seller thinks they either cleaned or pressed the suit on too high of heat, causing "warping" in the fabric. I should also mention the suit is made of a fairly delicate high thread count wool, which I informed the cleaners of when I dropped off the suit.

I am going to call the cleaners today and see what they have to say about my problem.

My hunch is they are going to try to avoid responsibility, since the clerk tried to tell me it was the suit's fault that they pressed a 8 inch vertical crease into an area of the suit where there wasn't even a seam underneath. I did not notice the puckering on pick up...I didn't notice it until the next morning before putting on the suit for an interview.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? Any thoughts on it?

cvac

Reaction score
I can't post pictures b/c I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment. The suit is not fused - both the pinch test at the bottom of the jacket and the person who sold me the suit indicate that it is not fused.

Also, The suit is not "bagged out" as described in this link:

http://www.redmayne-tailors.co.uk/making.html

The puckering problem doesn't look quite the same as the pictures I've seen of bubbled fusing. It is far, far less severe for one, and the puckers are much smaller.

From the looks of it, the jacket was pressed flat by a pressing machine, though the lapel was roll pressed b/c I specifically told them not to press it flat when I dropped it off. I think I would have preferred that the suit was steamed instead of pressed flat with the machine.

Update from the cleaners:

I called them and they told me to bring the suit in and they would have a look. I asked what could be done to fix it and they said they could repress the suit with sizing (I assume that means starch, which I hate). That doesn't sound right to me...any thoughts? I don't want to mess up the suit any further because I will need to wear it next week for on campus interviews at my law school.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to post pictures because I have no idea what you are talking about.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i feel like everytime i take anything to the cleaners it comes out looking worse than before i brought it in.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
i feel like everytime i take anything to the cleaners it comes out looking worse than before i brought it in.

Go to a better cleaner then.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i've tried a lot of different ones. they are on every corner in my little sugar land (suburb of houston) but they are all about the same imo. but they all get hella business somehow. i don't trust a damn thing any of them say even when they pretend to know what they are talking about. they have so much business from all the yuppies they don't seem to care at all about anything.

if anyone knows a gem in my area god that would be awesome.

mens wearhouse has a 'cleaner' looking mw cleaners that opened up but they are expensive as shit i hear. may give them a try to.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's