• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drycleaning Before Tailoring? Donating?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A relatively new pair of slacks has inexplicably developed a small hole near the back pocket, and so requires re-weaving. Is it rude to take them for re-weaving without first having them drycleaned? I have good hygiene, am not in the habit of going commando, and the slacks have been worn maybe 4 times, tops, in moderate weather.

On a related note, is it rude to donate clothes to a thrift shop or clothing drive without first having them drycleaned? Again, assuming it passes the sniff test and there is no obvious soiling.

Thanks.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to have clothing dry-cleaned before reweaving because if the damage is bug-induced, you want to ensure that all the bugs (moths, carpet beetles) have been removed from the item. Also, the full extent of bug damage is rarely immediately visible. I had one sweater with bug holes rewoven and then dry cleaned. After the dry cleaning there were several more holes visible because the stress of drycleaning had broken some threads that had been clearly damaged by bugs.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It's a good idea to have clothing dry-cleaned before reweaving because if the damage is bug-induced, you want to ensure that all the bugs (moths, carpet beetles) have been removed from the item. Also, the full extent of bug damage is rarely immediately visible. I had one sweater with bug holes rewoven and then dry cleaned. After the dry cleaning there were several more holes visible because the stress of drycleaning had broken some threads that had been clearly damaged by bugs.
good point

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Your donated clothing will be thrown into a pile with other clothing. They all end up smelling like funk so don't worry about it.

another good point

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I dry clean after tailoring to remove any creases, etc.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're donating, not gifting. A thrift buyer will dry clean them anyway.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
^ +1. Any normal human being will wash before wearing anyways. Except me. I've worn a lot of thrifted stuff with washing. I'm a busy man, man.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
clean before altering. when its all rumpled not hanging right, how can the tailor do a proper fitting. also when the alterations are done that part of the garment must be pressed. then the dirt will be pressed into the cloth, thats not good. if the trouser length must be changed. then take down the cuffs. then tell the cleaners to clean the bottoms and press them flat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads