• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dry White Wine

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dry white wine. I'm looking to buy one for a friend of mine for christmas, looking to spend around $50. Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chablis or a middling white Burg. Our nation is drowning in CA chard, so this would be a nice change.

I had a killer Premier Cru, '94, at a restaurant recently for $60. Unusual deal, however.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been drinking a lot of New Zealand/Marlborough Sauv Blanc lately. It's really really good and mostly under $20. Maybe not enough backbone for you but you might be surprised.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How about a quality dry Riesling? They do exist. I've had, and don't ask me to name names off the top of my head, a single grape Italian white, Malvasia. It usually gets mixed into Nebbiolo reds. Manton gave you a good idea, instead of a CA chard, try one from Burgundy, which is a completely different animal.

Sorry, this is about one of my weakest areas of wine knowledge, such as it is.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would be interested in a dry Riesling. I know jack about kraut wines, but I have been enjoying Rieslings and Gewurtzes of late.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want something different try some of the Austrian or German Rieslings. Ask the sommelier if they're dry first. I personally am a big fan of Gruner Veltliners, particularly this one: http://corkd.com/wine/view/54369-Hub...uner_Veltliner
They're not overly dry or sweet but have a nice smoothness and that classic Austrian minerality. EDIT: Oh, that's only $12. Forgot you wanted to spend more.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I would be interested in a dry Riesling. I know jack about kraut wines, but I have been enjoying Rieslings and Gewurtzes of late.

For a domestic, try Chehalem's dry. It's from Willamette Valley and pretty good. I've also had a tasty one from Kim Crawford (New Zealand), and you can try Zind-Humbrecht. Can't remember the vineyard, etc. on that one.

I've got two bottles of the 2007 Chehalem in the cellar

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My go to dry white is usually a chenin blanc. I would think you could do really well with your range as as they are oft had for $15.

I just took a look and I am not sure if I can find a dry chenin around the $50 range, everything is either sweet or demi sec. My vote is for the white burg instead.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One great Reisling is the Trimbach Riesling CuvÃ
e FrÃ
ric Emile. Alsace, about $35. I had a bottle recently and it was quite nice.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40