• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Nudie Straight Svens

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a few questions about these jeans. First, will they fit something like the Rag and Bone RB6? They look like they might. Second, are the dry version truly untreated? I still will wear them the way I usually wear jeans, probably washing once or twice a month, but want to know how they will wear so I know what size to go for ultimately. I like one wash jeans because they are easy to predict, dry seem less so. Any insight would be great.

Ahaz

Reaction score
My dry Sven were true to size, and stretched exactly one inch - which is much less than my other dry jeans have stretched. The first time I washed mine, they shrank back to their tagged size, but stretched back out after a day of wear. Now, after 6 or so washes, they don't seem to shrink down quite as much, and stretch out very quickly.

They're a size 29 and measure 15" across the waist band.

They come very stiff and very dark. They are truly dry/untreated. No experience with the RB6. I do love the Sven fit, but it is very unforgiving in terms of space in the crotch. They were an uncomfortable fit for the first week or two, but are now one of my favorite pairs.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Are you talking about this years straight svens, cuz if so there are two versions. One is stiff (selvage) and the other isn't (ola denim).

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
Are you talking about this years straight svens, cuz if so there are two versions. One is stiff (selvage) and the other isn't (ola denim).

I thought that the Ola denim was one wash, not completely dry. Am I wrong on that? I have a friend that has those, and they don't feel like raw denim and I really like the color. They are also a lot less expensive, I thought.

Ahaz

Reaction score
I'm not too sure about all the differences in models, but all my info was on a pair of the non-streaky (supposedly Japanese) denim selvage Sven.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I thought that the Ola denim was one wash, not completely dry. Am I wrong on that? I have a friend that has those, and they don't feel like raw denim and I really like the color. They are also a lot less expensive, I thought.

They are raw denim. They don't feel as stiff as a pair of Regular Ralphs Dry Selvedges, for example, because they are lighter weight *and* because they don't have as much sizing in them (you'll see what I mean when you wash them for the first time). A pretty good deal for $155 (even less in Europe) considering what crap there is at around $155 these days.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
They are raw denim. They don't feel as stiff as a pair of Regular Ralphs Dry Selvedges, for example, because they are lighter weight *and* because they don't have as much sizing in them (you'll see what I mean when you wash them for the first time). A pretty good deal for $155 (even less in Europe) considering what crap there is at around $155 these days.

Thanks LA Guy. Any idea where one begins a search for either of these? I am in the midwest for the summer, and there is only one store near me that sells Nudie. I am going there tomorrow to try on whatever SS they have, so I know the fit. However, I then need to figure out where to go from there. Also, in your opinion, are these a good alternative to a second pair of RB6?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Thanks LA Guy. Any idea where one begins a search for either of these? I am in the midwest for the summer, and there is only one store near me that sells Nudie. I am going there tomorrow to try on whatever SS they have, so I know the fit. However, I then need to figure out where to go from there. Also, in your opinion, are these a good alternative to a second pair of RB6?

I would phone Mauro (DENIMBAR at Denimbar) and see what he has in stock. fos5.com, revolveclothing.com and matthewizzo.com also carry Nudies.

I personally really like Nudies, their increasing ubiquity and the ridiculous stateside prices for the selvedge models notwithstanding. The cuts of the SS and Ola are both very different from the RB6. Both are lower rise and the Ola, especially, is considerably slimmer in the leg (same size comparison, of course.) Nudie and Rag & Bone also have very different aesthetics overall, so yes, I would think that a pair of Nudies would be a nice addition to your wardrobe. It's nice to have different jeans for different occasions.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
after reading this i was alarmed to read someone writing that the Sven Dry is made with the same material as the Ola Dry . . .

i really don't care for that stuff. it doesn't fade well, at all -- and its so soft. bleh . . .

from my understanding the Sven Dry is made with what the Glenn Dry used to be made with until they made the switch this season

if someonecan confirm any of this, it would be greatly appreciated. i was just about ready to fork over the money for a pair of Sven Dry but no way if they are made with Ola Dry Denim

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
after reading this i was alarmed to read someone writing that the Sven Dry is made with the same material as the Ola Dry . . .

i really don't care for that stuff. it doesn't fade well, at all -- and its so soft. bleh . . .

from my understanding the Sven Dry is made with what the Glenn Dry used to be made with until they made the switch this season

if someonecan confirm any of this, it would be greatly appreciated. i was just about ready to fork over the money for a pair of Sven Dry but no way if they are made with Ola Dry Denim

There are 2 different types of dry selvedge Sven's out there, AFAIK. The Limited Edition streaky "Flame" denim is lighter than the denim used in the newer Svens, which are made of the same material as RRDS.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was also a limited edition of the straight sven with selvedge denim made in sweden which looked a bit like the flame one (not particularily nice, but to each his own). I like a very "clean" raw denim. Everytime I see these very uneven, streaky raw denim, I feel like people are wearing camo pants or something...

!luc

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Fok,

Are you sure that the flame denim is lighter then the RRDS? Mine feel much heavier.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
There was also a limited edition of the straight sven with selvedge denim made in sweden which looked a bit like the flame one (not particularily nice, but to each his own). I like a very "clean" raw denim. Everytime I see these very uneven, streaky raw denim, I feel like people are wearing camo pants or something...

!luc

Agreed. Tried on both not too long ago, and the one with standard cardboard RRDS denim was just a lot nicer imho. I don't get what the fuzz is about really, the softer denim is definitely more comfy but the spotty texture looks way too busy for my taste. The fade could be interesting, but I bet it takes a looong time to break them in.

Each to their own.

beefcake

Reaction score
Straight Sven discussions gives me a headache. There are three different selvage svens, but AFAIK only one regular dry.
I have never heard of anyone getting an ola denim sven. Since flare glenn will be discontinued they made this years flare glenn with ola denim, and that's it I believe.

iansir

Reaction score
They dry version that is not selvage is NOT the ola denim. It is stiff like other dry nudies, just not selvage. The ola denim is soft and not stiff at all. The denim of the dry svens is still quite nice, even compared to my selvage straight svens (last years model).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads