• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dry Ice Martinis?

Spencer Young

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
I was reading an article in my local foodie mag/newspaper, and they mentioned that this highly regarded restaurant in St. Louis puts a bit of dry ice in their martinis (http://www.saucemagazine.com/article/3). All martinis except for those with cream get a drop of dry ice.

Being curious, I want to try this. Have any of you ever been/made cocktails with dry ice? I'm certain I *don't* want to put the ice in the shaker, as it could (would?) explode when I shake the drink. Once poured, how much is necessary? Is this even necessary? Do I need any ice in the shaker at all, or is that the point of the dry ice?

I'm moving next weekend, so once I'm all situated I'll be sure to try this out and let you all know how it goes.
 

Stax

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
858
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Spencer Young

Being curious, I want to try this. Have any of you ever been/made cocktails with dry ice?


Only on Halloween, when its in the "punch" bowl.
 

Tyto

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
386
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Being curious, I want to try this. Have any of you ever been/made cocktails with dry ice? I'm certain I *don't* want to put the ice in the shaker, as it could (would?) explode when I shake the drink. Once poured, how much is necessary? Is this even necessary? Do I need any ice in the shaker at all, or is that the point of the dry ice?
This seems gimmicky, but it works on the principle that, for cocktails, colder=better, which is generally true. I had several friends who swore by dry-iced vodka, and who dry-iced their gin before mixing their martinis. I'm not a vodka person, but the martinis were *very* nice and crisp.

But I don't think dry ice is necessary, as you can get a cocktail to around 24 F with regular ice alone. If you try dry ice, though, I think you would still want to mix with regular ice--the slight dilution of the alcohol that occurs as the ice melts is essential to a good cocktail--then add the dry ice to further reduce the temperature of the finished drink. Also, bartending canon holds that you stir a martini: shaking introduces bubbles, which creates a cloudy drink, and some afficianados believe that shaking "bruises" the gin. I can't taste the difference, but I like a nice, sleek, crystal-clear martini (or--with increasing frequency--an aviation), so I stir.
 

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
3,246
Reaction score
5
It seems to me the primary advantage would be the ability to control exactly how diluted you made the drink.
 

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Tyto
This seems gimmicky, but it works on the principle that, for cocktails, colder=better, which is generally true. I had several friends who swore by dry-iced vodka, and who dry-iced their gin before mixing their martinis. I'm not a vodka person, but the martinis were *very* nice and crisp.

But I don't think dry ice is necessary, as you can get a cocktail to around 24 F with regular ice alone. If you try dry ice, though, I think you would still want to mix with regular ice--the slight dilution of the alcohol that occurs as the ice melts is essential to a good cocktail--then add the dry ice to further reduce the temperature of the finished drink. Also, bartending canon holds that you stir a martini: shaking introduces bubbles, which creates a cloudy drink, and some afficianados believe that shaking "bruises" the gin. I can't taste the difference, but I like a nice, sleek, crystal-clear martini (or--with increasing frequency--an aviation), so I stir.


The mistake that most bartenders make is dilution. Martinis should be clear, not cloudy. That's why the dry ice concept is a good one. You don't *want* water in your drink.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,791
Reaction score
559
I have, occasionally, consumed a smoking glass of coke. An important consideration is not getting any scrap that might have fallen off in your mouth. That would be bad.

Regards,
Huntsman
 

vesper

New Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dry ice should be put in at the end. And make sure no one eats any because it will burn them badly! As far as regular ice in the drink goes, I had to replace the refrigerator for my bar and i got one with a Refrigerator Water Filter which has significantly improved he quality of my drinks! My neighbors now come over to borrow ice
 

Bartolo

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
689
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by sygyzy
The mistake that most bartenders make is dilution. Martinis should be clear, not cloudy. That's why the dry ice concept is a good one. You don't *want* water in your drink.
The mistake many people who don't understand cocktails make is that they think water is bad. Water is an essential ingredient. If you don't use the proper sized ice in the proper way, you end up with either too much water or too little water. Neither is right. If you put your gin and/or vodka and vermouth in the freezer and make an iceless martini and enjoy it, good for you, but it's not a proper martini. Most of us would not enjoy drinking a martini that is that "hot" (alcholic). Similarly if you stir the gin and/or vodka with crushed ice, you'll have way too much water and it won't be right either. The role of ice in cocktails is essential to getting a good drink. I'm not sure what would make a martini cloudy other than making it wrong, such as shaking the hell out of it rather than stirring it. EDIT: This award-winning bartender explains it better than I can:
 

Mark from Plano

Lifestyle change - no homo
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
10,853
Reaction score
392
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It sounds rather gimmicky.
I saw it for the first time at a rather gimmicky place here in Dallas this weekend.
 

jiratic

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by JohnGalt


churchhill would rise from the grave.
vodka and martini si an ABOMINATION upon the creator.
Vodka is for girly drinks.
Gin/Rum/Whiskey is for MEN.
 

CaesarSTL

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
317
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Tyto
This seems gimmicky, but it works on the principle that, for cocktails, colder=better, which is generally true. I had several friends who swore by dry-iced vodka, and who dry-iced their gin before mixing their martinis. I'm not a vodka person, but the martinis were *very* nice and crisp. But I don't think dry ice is necessary, as you can get a cocktail to around 24 F with regular ice alone. If you try dry ice, though, I think you would still want to mix with regular ice--the slight dilution of the alcohol that occurs as the ice melts is essential to a good cocktail--then add the dry ice to further reduce the temperature of the finished drink. Also, bartending canon holds that you stir a martini: shaking introduces bubbles, which creates a cloudy drink, and some afficianados believe that shaking "bruises" the gin. I can't taste the difference, but I like a nice, sleek, crystal-clear martini (or--with increasing frequency--an aviation), so I stir.

Originally Posted by JohnGalt


Originally Posted by jiratic
churchhill would rise from the grave.
vodka and martini si an ABOMINATION upon the creator.
Vodka is for girly drinks.
Gin/Rum/Whiskey is for MEN.


Lol, came to support Tyto since reading isn't the easiest skill to master for some...
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 128 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 66 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,559
Messages
9,220,087
Members
193,558
Latest member
adammb1
Top