• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry hair

stanwelks

Reaction score
My hair is always very dry. I have tried different shampoos and conditioners, though obviously not the right ones, though it still seems dry. I wash it every day, though I do not use a blowdryer.

1. Can anyone recommend a particular shampoo/conditioner/product I can try?
2. Any other routines or things I should do?

Thanks.

Hollywars

Reaction score
Don't shampoo every day, leave conditioner in longer.

stanwelks

Reaction score
I would like to not shampoo everyday, though I put product in my hair, like gel after washing it.

Hollywars

Reaction score
You can rinse it, maybe use a gel or product that is water-soluble? Check the hair thread for products that you can just rinse out.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a daily basis, you can do a technique called Co-Washing. You buy the cheapest conditioner you can find (Sauve, VO5, etc) and use it as a shampoo. You have to apply a lot in order for this to work well, hence the cheaper the conditioner the better. By vigorously massaging it into your hair and scalp for 2-3 minutes, the friction created makes dirt and hair product slide off, but keeps the natural oils in place so your hair doesn't dry out. Watch this instructional vid - they're pushing their own product but the technique works for any kind of conditioner. Use a wide tooth comb as well to cover all of your hair and when you're rinsing it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJfEj...tailpage#t=62s You have to spend a minute rinsing it out. Then you have to follow with a real conditioner. The one below is good and not too expensive. L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Moisturizing Conditioner http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-vive...195452?tab=1#1 Or, use a leave-in conditioner (Aussie, Garnier, Aveeno - all good) Then once a week use a real shampoo.

mediafred

Reaction score
So you are suggesting on a daily basis to:
- use conditioner instead of shampoo
- use comb to get it through my hair
- then use a conditioner on top of that
- Then once a week use a real shampoo.

Thanks.

drum

Reaction score
Have you tried a leave-in conditioner?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediafred
So you are suggesting on a daily basis to: - use conditioner instead of shampoo - use comb to get it through my hair - then use a conditioner on top of that - Then once a week use a real shampoo. Thanks.
Yes, or use a leave in conditioner instead of the second conditioner Also, remember that you need to vigorously massage the cheap conditioner through your hair for 2-3 minutes in order for it to cleanse as well as condition. Just follow the video instructions posted above and it'll work great.

Thomas11129

Reaction score
Blow dryers, collapsed irons, crimper band and hot combs can all could cause dryness.Ultra-rich and arranged with moisturizing proteins, Kerastase Masquintense is accepted to accord salon results.The abysmal conditioner detangles quickly, softens and will not counterbalance hair down.

innerstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stanwelks
Any advice for a good leave in conditioner?

I'd recommend some all natural products. Try Jojoba oil and extra virgin coconut oil. You can find the latter in the cooking sections. A little goes a long way so don't apply too much.

accopy

Reaction score
I would like some suggestions on the products that Dry Skin types use. As far as cleansing, moisturizing and exfoiliating. What are some of the best products. I am trying to get some consistency in my face routine.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads