Dry hair

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by stanwelks, Apr 1, 2011.

1. stanwelks

stanwelks Well-Known Member

My hair is always very dry. I have tried different shampoos and conditioners, though obviously not the right ones, though it still seems dry. I wash it every day, though I do not use a blowdryer.

1. Can anyone recommend a particular shampoo/conditioner/product I can try?
    2. Any other routines or things I should do?

Thanks.

2. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

Don't shampoo every day, leave conditioner in longer.

3. stanwelks

I would like to not shampoo everyday, though I put product in my hair, like gel after washing it.

4. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

You can rinse it, maybe use a gel or product that is water-soluble? Check the hair thread for products that you can just rinse out.

5. willpower

willpower Senior member

On a daily basis, you can do a technique called Co-Washing. You buy the cheapest conditioner you can find (Sauve, VO5, etc) and use it as a shampoo. You have to apply a lot in order for this to work well, hence the cheaper the conditioner the better. By vigorously massaging it into your hair and scalp for 2-3 minutes, the friction created makes dirt and hair product slide off, but keeps the natural oils in place so your hair doesn't dry out. Watch this instructional vid - they're pushing their own product but the technique works for any kind of conditioner. Use a wide tooth comb as well to cover all of your hair and when you're rinsing it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJfEj...tailpage#t=62s You have to spend a minute rinsing it out. Then you have to follow with a real conditioner. The one below is good and not too expensive. L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Moisturizing Conditioner http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-vive...195452?tab=1#1 Or, use a leave-in conditioner (Aussie, Garnier, Aveeno - all good) Then once a week use a real shampoo.

6. mediafred

mediafred Active Member

So you are suggesting on a daily basis to:
    - use conditioner instead of shampoo
    - use comb to get it through my hair
    - then use a conditioner on top of that
    - Then once a week use a real shampoo.

Thanks.

7. drum

drum Senior member

Have you tried a leave-in conditioner?

8. willpower

willpower Senior member

So you are suggesting on a daily basis to: - use conditioner instead of shampoo - use comb to get it through my hair - then use a conditioner on top of that - Then once a week use a real shampoo. Thanks.
    Yes, or use a leave in conditioner instead of the second conditioner Also, remember that you need to vigorously massage the cheap conditioner through your hair for 2-3 minutes in order for it to cleanse as well as condition. Just follow the video instructions posted above and it'll work great.

9. stanwelks

Any advice for a good leave in conditioner?

10. willpower

willpower Senior member

11. stanwelks

12. Thomas11129

Thomas11129 Member

Blow dryers, collapsed irons, crimper band and hot combs can all could cause dryness.Ultra-rich and arranged with moisturizing proteins, Kerastase Masquintense is accepted to accord salon results.The abysmal conditioner detangles quickly, softens and will not counterbalance hair down.

13. innerstyle

innerstyle Senior member

Any advice for a good leave in conditioner?

I'd recommend some all natural products. Try Jojoba oil and extra virgin coconut oil. You can find the latter in the cooking sections. A little goes a long way so don't apply too much.

14. accopy

accopy Member

I would like some suggestions on the products that Dry Skin types use. As far as cleansing, moisturizing and exfoiliating. What are some of the best products. I am trying to get some consistency in my face routine.

Thanks