• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Denim + Hot wash = ?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
if I threw a new pair of dry italian denim into the wash with no detergent and ran a full wash on a hot setting...

then air dried....

what would the result be in terms of shrinkage?

Valgar

Reaction score
Are you looking for maximum shrinkage?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried that on a pair of Dior 19cm. black raw denim and has shrunk to my regular size. It was too loose otherwise. I did it on another pair of Iron Hearts 21 oz straight leg selvage and now the fit is also perfect. I probably won't wash them again for a while now that it has 'shrunk to fit'. There was a bit of indigo loss but I expected it. I like the idea of doing the one-wash myself instead of buying it "one-wash". I feel like I've shrunk it to my body. I let it dry in the sun and wore it while it was still slightly damp. I would definitely recommend it unless you plan on never washing it and just take it for dry cleaning.

Halifamous

Reaction score
Quick question in a similar vein. If I soaked the waistband of my diors in hot water without agitating them at all what kind of indigo loss will I get? I was dancing in them the other night, and the legs are still fine but the waist stretched about a half inch more than I'd like.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just did that with my oni's. they shrunk like crazy.....lost some indigo, but since these are natural indigo, i'm sure there is enough dye on here not to worry about it

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i just did that with my oni's. they shrunk like crazy.....lost some indigo, but since these are natural indigo, i'm sure there is enough dye on here not to worry about it

You bought your natural indigo oni's in raw? Love to see pictures:)

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Hot soak and tumble dry for most shrinkage.
Dryers rip your jeans to pieces
teacha.gif

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halifamous
Quick question in a similar vein. If I soaked the waistband of my diors in hot water without agitating them at all what kind of indigo loss will I get? I was dancing in them the other night, and the legs are still fine but the waist stretched about a half inch more than I'd like.
I soaked the waist of my Nudies with no real indigo loss, but if you look closely you can see a discernable line. They shrunk back to where they started, but have since stretched back again.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
if I threw a new pair of dry italian denim into the wash with no detergent and ran a full wash on a hot setting...

then air dried....

what would the result be in terms of shrinkage?

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but it'd help to know if your pair's sanforized .

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Dryers rip your jeans to pieces
teacha.gif

I couldn't tell if you were joking or not, but tumble drying on low will not rip your jeans to shred. I know everyone likes to believe that raw jeans are made of porcelain, but they're not. Even Blue in Green tumble dries their new One Wash jeans to get maximum shrinkage to help customers with sizing issues. I really doubt BiG would rip their jeans to shreds.

There is a good chance you were joking, but i didn't want the thread creator, or another new person reading this and then being afraid to wash/dry his jeans and create a thread asking if he should throw his jeans on the fire because he accidentally dried them.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
It would help to know if you are talking about a particular jean.

got a new pair of nudie even steven in 31 waist... my ususal is 30. They're a bit loose which is ok cause everything else I have is tight fighting.

Just wanted to know how best to shrink some? thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads