• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaning with CO2

bushd841

Reaction score
I've been reading about dry cleaning with CO2; has anyone experiened this? What was your opinion - did it work as well as conventional methods?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, do they use supercritical CO2? If so, I expect it would be very thorough on any polar or low-molecular weight contaminates due to a combination of high density, high diffusion coefficient, and low viscosity, on par with a gas. I would wonder about its ability to deal with high molecular weight non polar substances, such as certain fats and oils.

I'd prefer it and give it a shot at least if I could.

Regards,
Huntsman

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
What, do they use supercritical CO2? If so, I expect it would be very thorough on any polar or low-molecular weight contaminates due to a combination of high density, high diffusion coefficient, and low viscosity, on par with a gas. I would wonder about its ability to deal with high molecular weight non polar substances, such as certain fats and oils.

Regards,
Huntsman

You know, it's funny, but when I read the OP, I had exactly the same reaction!

crackup[1].gif

CaptChaos

Reaction score
I had some pants cleaned with CO2 a couple years ago and they turned out fine. They were not heavily stained with grease or oil so I can't say how it would work on those materials.

Unfortunately, that chain of cleaners went bankrupt and there are no CO2 cleaners in Vancouver anymore.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I would wonder about its ability to deal with high molecular weight non polar substances, such as certain fats and oils.

Regards,
Huntsman

They actually use liquid CO2. And it's the other way around, CO2 works very well for nonpolar substances and is similar in effectiveness to hexane. Remember, it's nonpolar despite the two oxygens.

And regarding the OP, the biggest benefit of CO2 cleaning imo is the lack of heat in the process.

bushd841

Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with the "Supercritical" CO2 mentioned by Huntsman. I've just read a few bits and pieces about it through different sources. An online search showed that Consumer Reports thought it did a better job than the standard method and without any cancer causing chemicals in the process.
I live in Tampa and am seeking cleaners that use this process. Just thought I'd ask for some feedback first.
Thanks to all.
smile.gif

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
They actually use liquid CO2. And it's the other way around, CO2 works very well for nonpolar substances and is similar in effectiveness to hexane. Remember, it's nonpolar despite the two oxygens.

And regarding the OP, the biggest benefit of CO2 cleaning imo is the lack of heat in the process.

You are correct that liquid CO2 is "used", but only in the sense that it is pressurized into the supercritical region. In other words the cleaning uses supercritical CO2 as a solvent.

Aus

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
You are correct that liquid CO2 is "used", but only in the sense that it is pressurized into the supercritical region. In other words the cleaning uses supercritical CO2 as a solvent.

Aus

I understand the difference but I never really looked in to how the machines work and am actually a little surprised that the cleaners don't advertise it as such. Supercritical CO2 sounds so much cooler than liquid CO2 from a marketing perspective.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

You're right, all right. I know that, too, dunno why I wrote it reversed -- chemical dyslexia. I considered using it once because of its selectivity and high diffusion coefficient. Needed to dissolve some paraffin and leave other stuff behind.

I think they mightn't use 'supercritical' as it sounds quite dangerous. Then you'd have hordes of people trying to close those explosive drycleaners.
confused.gif
Dihydrogen monoxide, anyone?

Regards,
Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads