• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaning shirts and not having them smell "DRY CLEANED"

tommboy

Reaction score
How can I dry clean shirts and not have them come back smelling like that horrible dry clean smell?? And for that matter how can I get rid of that smell on stuff I have dry cleaned? Thank you god I hate this smell.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the organic dry cleaners should take care of this for you. The smell you talk about are the chemicals used in the cleaning process (or maybe they put a ton of starch on your shirts and that is what you smell). I use an organic place for my shirts and I tell them no starch and I do not notice any smell.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I am not fond of the dry cleaning smell myself.

Are your shirts cotton? If so, why not have them laundered in medium to cold water, hung to dry and then hand pressed with no starch? That is the most gentle washing procedure for shirts.

Some shirt manufacturers (Turnbull and Asser) suggest that cotton shirts should not be dry cleaned.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommboy
And for that matter how can I get rid of that smell on stuff I have dry cleaned?
Take the shirts out of the protective plastic and hang them up in a well-ventilated place. The smell will start to disappear after a few days. After a couple weeks (at most) it will usually not be noticeable.

tommboy

Reaction score
It still smells after I have aired it out for weeks. How common are organic dry cleaners?

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I am not fond of the dry cleaning smell myself.

Are your shirts cotton? If so, why not have them laundered in medium to cold water, hung to dry and then hand pressed with no starch? That is the most gentle washing procedure for shirts.

Some shirt manufacturers (Turnbull and Asser) suggest that cotton shirts should not be dry cleaned.

+1 Agreed

tommboy

Reaction score
They are cotton, but the shirt care says hand wash or dry clean.......?????

jsherman02

Reaction score
The company I used to deal with had a delivery driver that was a chain smoker...I was thrilled if they did not smell like 100% smoke.

tommboy

Reaction score
It is a shirt from emergangildo zegna. Just because it says handwash does that mean I really absolutely can only hand wash it?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommboy
It is a shirt from emergangildo zegna. Just because it says handwash does that mean I really absolutely can only hand wash it?

My drycleaners offers a hand wash/hand press option. It's about $7 a shirt.

Most cotton shirts can be machine laundered. The procedures that usually damage shirts are:

1. washing them in water that's very hot
2. Tumbling them dry in a hot dryer
3. Pressing them on the machine press
4. Using lots of starch

Exposing the shirts to lots of heat while cleaning them can cause excessive shrinkage--the dryer is probably the hardest thing on shirts.

You may want to read this about "proper laundering"
http://customshirt1.com/ASK/laund01.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads