• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaning Problem

NAVA23

Reaction score
How do you handle "over" pressing of garments? I'm referring specially to trousers where the dry cleaner steam presses with such pressure that the marks under the hem form an imprint. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That usually happens to low quality trousers.

Which brand do you have?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My shirts go to one place, and my pants go to another. You have to see what certain dry cleaners do better than others by experience and convenience. I clean my shirts after each wear, but wool pants and jackets get hung, brushed and only dry cleaned when needed (once a year-depending on use).

stubloom

Reaction score
I would respectfully disagree with westinghouse. Seam impressions have very little to do with the quality of the garment and everything to do with the MACHINE PRESSING of the garment: way too much steam, at way too high a pressure, for way too long. Machine pressing transforms your fine wool trousers from 3D to 2D. It's the dry cleaning equivalent of assault and battery. Ordinary dry cleaners are only interested in one thing: how many garments they can push through their "production system" in the shortest possible time at the lowest possible cost per unit. At an ordinary dry cleaner that means 30 to 40 trousers per hour from a relatively unskilled presser. And the only way they can achieve those quantities is by MACHINE PRESSING your trousers (and all other garments) and paying relatively low wages. By contrast, a true quality cleaner will HAND PRESS your wool trousers and will be lucky to get 10 or 12 wool trousers per hour out of a highly skilled presser (less if those trousers are cotton or linen). Bottom line? You get what you pay for. For more information on the subject of machine pressing vs hand pressing, please read.... Blog post: Researchers discover cause of and cure for SSS http://ravefabricare.com/true-qualit...e-for-sss.aspx

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
My shirts go to one place, and my pants go to another. You have to see what certain dry cleaners do better than others by experience and convenience. I clean my shirts after each wear, but wool pants and jackets get hung, brushed and only dry cleaned when needed (once a year-depending on use).

Hi NYR

what do you mean when you say brushed? I've read many times a member will say they brush their suit but with what and what purpose?

Cheers

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Hi NYR

what do you mean when you say brushed? I've read many times a member will say they brush their suit but with what and what purpose?

Cheers

Well, I have a Kent Clothes Brush (got from eBay for like $10) and I literally brush my pants and jackets after each wear, and hang them out (not outside, but I always hang them on the outside of my closet, before another quick brush) for 24 hours before they go back in.

What it does is it gets any dirt/dust out of the garment so it doesn't need to be cleaned as often. Remember that the more you put your clothes through the cleaners, they faster they break down.

Its also important to use a cleaners for your good stuff that changes its fluids often. Most places rarely if ever change the chemicals they use to dry clean. The place I go to for that is all the way on Staten Island, and very expensive, but its worth it, because I know they change fluids every week or so, and take great care of the clothes.

stubloom

Reaction score
Response to NewYorkRanger: 1. Only POOR dry cleaning and/or POOR pressing will reduce the longevity of your fine garments. 2. Dry cleaners don't change their dry cleaning solvent often. They occasionally supplement their dry cleaning solvent with virgin solvent when the solvent level necessary for "good" cleaning drops below certain levels. What every dry cleaner should be doing is purifying (or distilling) their solvent AFTER EACH AND EVERY LOAD. Not once a day, not once or twice a week, but AFTER EACH AND EVERY LOAD. CONTINUOUS PURIFICATION or DISTILLATION is the only way a dry cleaner can keep his solvent absolutely pure and as clear as bottled water. CONTINUOUS PURIFICATION is also your ONLY guarantee against grayish whites and, in some cases, faded dark colors. For more information on the subject of purification, please see... Blog post: My dry cleaned garments smell of dry cleaning solvent! Why? http://ravefabricare.com/true-qualit...vent!-why.aspx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads