• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaning advice

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Organic dry cleaning? Is he employing hundreds of Chinese children in his workshop scrubbing your clothes?

smile.gif
, seriously, hasn't anyone else heard of this . . . I doub't it has anything to do with ethnicity of employees . . .

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok ,if you're disturbed by the ethnicity factor ,let's assume he is employing very poor people and hobos in his backyard!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

I'm only joking ,please do not sue me or report me to the FBI...

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Ok ,if you're disturbed by the ethnicity factor ,let's assume he is employing very poor people and hobos in his backyard!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

I'm only joking ,please do not sue me or report me to the FBI...

no lasbar I am not disturbed, I just posted a seemingly disturbed post in the hopes of bumping it, so that I may learn something from someone who does know about it . . .

btw, you read my mind, I was just dialing the FBI, but decided to let it go since a fellow SFer kindly requested I don't . . .
tounge.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the link they give for Hangers seems not to be working.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look for family owned places with the cleaning plant on premises.

Also, are you sure your Kiton NEEDS to be cleaned? Is it something that your cleaners can just spot clean rather than dip the whole garment?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My parents were in the dry cleaner business for about fifteen years (we're korean, go figure). My mom is very particular about clothes as she was a textile engineering student (i don't really know what that means) and she worked very hard to make sure that the customers were happy. She would instruct her workers to inspect each pair of clothing twice to make sure there wasn't any spotting, and tried as hard as she could to either get herself or my father to inspect each article of clothing themselves before returning them to the customer.

The point is, there are huge differences in the level of quality service you would get so you should really shop around. If you're paying .99 cents to have your shirts cleaned versus the 2.50, then you're probably paying someone to throw your clothes in the machine without a care. Unfortunately, a lot of quality dry cleaners are being run out of the market by the "super" cleaners. In my opinion, and my parents, its not really worth paying 2.50 for dress shirts, but for nice suits/sweaters its well worth the price and pain of finding a good quality dry cleaner. Just ask them questions about what chemical solution they use for cleaning and what machine it is. Most store owners won't know and that will be your first sign.

As for franchises, it really depends on the operator. Most dry cleaning franchises are independently owned and operated so the level of service varies...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do believe there is a market for upmarket dry cleaning or organic cleaning....
Mr Lambda or Joe bloke will always choose the cheapest option but the same is applying to the clothes they buy...
I do not care if a £20 shirt get slaughtered by a dry cleaner to be honest but i do care for my Kiton or Brioni...
I'm ready to pay a premium price...
Any address in London and i want references!!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
On a related note, my drycleaner (no idea if he is any good, nor do I have a clue what makes a good drycleaner) started advertising "Organic drycleaning" Does anyone have any idea what this means?

Some of the more seasoned SFers should have some some advice . . .

Yeah, there's a new organic dry cleaner that opened up in downtown San Mateo recently in the SF Bay Area... they told me they use CO2 in liquid form to wash the clothing, then when it's done washing, the machine is able to turn the CO2 back into its gas form. It's "organic" since it doesn't use any hazardous chemicals like regular dry cleaning. Not sure if it's more or less effective, or if it's better or worse for your clothing.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
On a related note, my drycleaner (no idea if he is any good, nor do I have a clue what makes a good drycleaner) started advertising "Organic drycleaning" Does anyone have any idea what this means?

Some of the more seasoned SFers should have some some advice . . .

Sounds like a marketing gimick, but I'll leave it to the experts...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everything is going green and organic ,even the worst polluters ,airplanes....
Banks are green ,supermarkets ditching millions of plastic bags a day ..green is the colour ,marketing is the game and fooling everybody is the aim...

Dib

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I need to get some suits dry cleaned in London and was wondering if anyone knew of any good reputable places I could use who would not wreck my suits?

Lasbar - did your search bring up any reputable places?

Thanks

Dib

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Simply setting the iron too hot after cleaning can already kill a suit. It pays to have it done by people who know what they're doing. No advise to give other than: find a good one.

VictorJB

Reaction score
You answered your own question my man. FIND that dry cleaner that treats your clothing better then you treat your girlfriend and stick with them !!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads