• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaning 3-Roll-2 jackets?

SouthNarc

Reaction score

It seems like sending garments to AZ to be cleaned would mean they spend less time in your possession than they do at the cleaners. I can't imagine mailing things to the cleaners. I suppose I am just lucky to live 3 blocks from the most detail oriented cleaners in the New Orleans area.

Who would that be? I'm in Biloxi and I'm in the city a couple of times a month. Dry cleaners on the MS. Gulf Coast are ****.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

By and large, the answer to the question, "Soiled tie?" is "New tie." Neckties are like socks and underwear: please replace regularly. I realize there is almost totemic worship of neckties by many SF members...but even the finest such tie is an expendable item.

Excellent. You keep discarding your good ties with minor blemishes and people like me with some ingenuity will keep acquiring them, easily cleaning them and having good quality neck-wear for little money.

I love people with more money than sense.

rwaldron

Reaction score
Who would that be? I'm in Biloxi and I'm in the city a couple of times a month. Dry cleaners on the MS. Gulf Coast are ****.

Liberto on Prytania. They do an incredible job with suits, particularly with white linen, which they have a special whitening dip; I wouldn't take a white linen suit anywhere else. They do a great job on formal wear also, and are the only cleaners that isn't confused when I take a detachable collar tails shirt in. I hate taking regular dress shirts there though, as they don't do anything special with those, yet charge 2-3x as much as other cleaners within a 5 block radius.

rwaldron

Reaction score
Excellent. You keep discarding your good ties with minor blemishes and people like me with some ingenuity will keep acquiring them, easily cleaning them and having good quality neck-wear for little money.
I love people with more money than sense.

A stain, here or there on a tie, is just a badge of honor reminding you of the good times you had wearing it.

Last edited:

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By and large, the answer to the question, "Soiled tie?" is "New tie." Neckties are like socks and underwear: please replace regularly. I realize there is almost totemic worship of neckties by many SF members...but even the finest such tie is an expendable item.
So many guys on SF are oriented only to the cost of acquisition rather than the more general ongoing cost of trying to be well-dressed. That cost includes (a) care and (b) replacement.
Can anyone guess the funniest tie rehabilitation story in StyFo history?

Yeah. . .it was a new tie, until I dropped a pickle on it the very first time I wore it and put a big grease stain in the middle. It's now one of my favorite ties. Although I paid a pretty penny to have it cleaned, I'm glad I still have it, in pristine condition. With a lesser tie, I would have accepted its fate.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just left a BBBF 3-2 roll with MOP buttons to the tender mercies of the local dry cleaner, with specific instructions to soft roll to the second button. They tell me they don't use machine presses, so here's hoping. Actually, they've previously managed a 3-2 RLPL when given a similarly specific request, and I've used them for bespoke stuff too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed... we'll see what happens... it'll be amusing if nothing else.
laugh.gif

At worst, I'll get it re-cleaned again, without pressing, and then ask someone at my tailor's to press it. But I'm astonishingly lazy, so will see if the dry cleaners are able to perform a minor miracle in a single attempt first.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend Gem Cleaners in Philadelphia, PA. A lot of their business comes in via FedEx or UPS. Locally, Gem offers pick and delivery. All of my clothes come back beautifully pressed, shaped with tissue paper, etc. Usually when I stop in there are bespoke suits and some gorgeous vintage couture dresses waiting to be cleaned.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I cut my trousers 3 roll 2. It's not just for jackets anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads