• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaners Liability

KaiserSose

Reaction score
This hasn't happened to me (and I pray that it won't) but what happens when the dry cleaners ruin a very expensive shirt, etc... I asked the one connected to my building what they cover and they said it's a flat $20 per shirt. Considering a few of the brioni shirts I just picked up retail at $475 - even though I paid 20% of that - that payment doesn't even come close to recouping the cost.

This is my first time purchasing anything worth worrying about so I might just be a little paranoid, but do you think it's worth while to try dry cleaners that offer better coverage?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you can, sure. It's cost-benefit. If the cleaners is 30 minutes away, then no. Otherwise you will have to resort washing it yourself.

And I'm assuming you are laundering those shirts and not drying cleaning them.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine actually "sued" a cleaner in small claims court over the ruination of several dress shirts. He asked for $100+ per shirt. He was — essentially — laughed out of the hearing room by the referee.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Here's a better idea:

Don't take your shirts to the dry cleaner.

+1. Shirts of that quality should be hand washed.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
ugh.. not very encouraging responses.. Hand washing them is kind of out of the question as I work 60 hours + a week and don't want to spend my spare time cleaning clothes. Plus i'm sure I would do an awful job..

Should I consider getting them dry cleaned instead of laundered? I mean what do wealthy, unobsessed people do to clean their clothes (not that I am one of them)?

NMW1982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
ugh.. not very encouraging responses.. Hand washing them is kind of out of the question as I work 60 hours + a week and don't want to spend my spare time cleaning clothes. Plus i'm sure I would do an awful job..

Should I consider getting them dry cleaned instead of laundered? I mean what do wealthy, unobsessed people do to clean their clothes (not that I am one of them)?

My dry cleaner has a hand wash option. They also have insurance in case something goes wrong with the shirts. All in all, I pay $11 per shirt to have my shirts hand-washed and insured.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
+1. Shirts of that quality should be hand washed.

cold water/gentle cycle should be fine...Kabbaz has a guide somewhere on his store web site about proper shirt maintenance. I definitely would not send my shirts to the local dry cleaner to F up..

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

servants

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol.. I meant wealthy as in like $30,000,000 - $50,000,000 a year.

I think you mean like this?
smile.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would imagine a lot of people use dry cleaners. That doesn't mean they should.

If were really concerned, and had more money than time, I'd use one of the top end cleaning services and make sure they knew what I wanted.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I would imagine a lot of people use dry cleaners. That doesn't mean they should.

If were really concerned, and had more money than time, I'd use one of the top end cleaning services and make sure they knew what I wanted.

What, like MP? There was a post a while back where one of these so called high-end dry cleaners f'ed up some guys 30 Borelli shirts....

KaiserSose

Reaction score
lol you guys really aren't good at making somebody feel better. Right now i'm fretting over the six shirts I dropped off at the dry cleaners for the first time today.. Maybe I need to do some research into nearby ones (luckily I live in NYC) that have good insurance policies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads