• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaners in Manhattan?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendations? I've been using Meurice for better garments or more infrequent cleanings. But the cost is just too high for garments that don't warrant the high-end treatment but still need the occasional dry cleaning. Ideally looking for something around Union Square.

GreenApple

Reaction score
Good Morning! I will be up front here. I am the CEO of Green Apple Cleaners an affiliate of America's Best Cleaners. We are unique in NYC in that we are the only environmentally friendly cleaner using CO2 and water.

Sure we are Green, but we are Great ... Our belief is that we are only as good as our last item finished - being we use only COLD process cleaning (no LINT!) and European Finishing equipment (which finish clothing from the inside out with warm steam then touched up with a cool iron) our focus is on quality. Oh yea our plant manager is ex MP (High end cleaner in NY).

We are priced for your everyday cleaning $15.50 suit ... but still deliver the highest of quality ... just not all that paper and plastic (as we are a green company). Drop me an e-mail and I will send you and any other member of the Style Forum a $20 Gift Card so you can try us out. We have 3 store in the city (5 by August) and offer free pick up in all doormen buildings in NYC.

Best Regards,

David Kistner - CEO
Green Apple Cleaners

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used and had good experiences with Chris French, which is just south of Union Square on 4th avenue (at 9th street). They are very expensive though. Possibly too expensive.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenApple
Good Morning! I will be up front here. I am the CEO of Green Apple Cleaners an affiliate of America's Best Cleaners. We are unique in NYC in that we are the only environmentally friendly cleaner using CO2 and water.

Sure we are Green, but we are Great ... Our belief is that we are only as good as our last item finished - being we use only COLD process cleaning (no LINT!) and European Finishing equipment (which finish clothing from the inside out with warm steam then touched up with a cool iron) our focus is on quality. Oh yea our plant manager is ex MP (High end cleaner in NY).

We are priced for your everyday cleaning $15.50 suit ... but still deliver the highest of quality ... just not all that paper and plastic (as we are a green company). Drop me an e-mail and I will send you and any other member of the Style Forum a $20 Gift Card so you can try us out. We have 3 store in the city (5 by August) and offer free pick up in all doormen buildings in NYC.

Best Regards,

David Kistner - CEO
Green Apple Cleaners

PM sent. tell us how you press suits? Are you willing to hand press them to limit stress and wear and tear if that is requested? Since you are the CEO, how would you ensure that your employees actually do that if it is requested?

JordanB

Reaction score
Jerry's cleaners isn't a bad alternative to Meurice. I'd be curious about Green Apple though.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
Jerry's cleaners isn't a bad alternative to Meurice. I'd be curious about Green Apple though.

I do have to say that Meurice is the best at getting out stains, but they really are very expensive.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
I do have to say that Meurice is the best at getting out stains, but they really are very expensive.

They have saved a number of garments for me and I highly recommend them. But $18.50 for pants and $37 for a simple sweater dress for my wife ...

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
They have saved a number of garments for me and I highly recommend them. But $18.50 for pants and $37 for a simple sweater dress for my wife ...

Agreed. Chorse, do you use them for your shirts? I was, but they are $6 or so for machine pressing and I found that they were shrinking my collars a bit. $22 or whatever for hand pressing didn't seem worth.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope. I machine wash my shirts on cold and drip dry them. I have enough that I can get away with being a little lazy. But I was thinking about having Meurice wash and box my linen shirts in September so I can stick them on a shelf in my office until next year.

wq1999

Reaction score
I use Cameo Cleaners on 3rd Avenue & 22nd. They're good at getting spots out, but expensive (though not quite as expensive as Meurice). I must say that they recently lost garment of mine, so my recommendation is qualified.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenApple

Best Regards,

David Kistner - CEO
Green Apple Cleaners

Anyone here heard back from GreenApple? I tried PMing and e-mailing, as well as posting here, but haven't heard back.

JordanB

Reaction score
Still haven't heard back from Green Apple, but decided to give them a try this morning. The prices were reasonable, although not cheap. I'm having half of my shirts finished by hand and half finished by machine, so we'll see how they turn out. (While machine pressing often isn't the best, Green Apple claims they there isn't any shrinkage due to their products.) Green Apple also claims to be a whiz at getting out stains.

Would be nice if they compare favorably to Meurice at less than half the cost.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wq1999
I use Cameo Cleaners on 3rd Avenue & 22nd. They're good at getting spots out, but expensive (though not quite as expensive as Meurice). I must say that they recently lost garment of mine, so my recommendation is qualified.

+1 for these guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads