• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaner ruined suit?

gb321123

Reaction score
Hi,

Sent my paul smith travel suit to the dry cleaner for the first time and it came back really dry and hard. It had totally lost its softness and feels like a different suit. I am travelling to a meeting and have just taken it out of the suit bag and it is like a piece of crumpled paper. I have carried it exactly in the same way load of times before dry cleaning it and it came out of the bag near perfect.
Has the dry cleaner ruined my suit?

MLIW

Reaction score
Yes It should be like a crumpled piece of paper good luck trying to rectify!

gb321123

Reaction score
Put the shower on full heat in the hotel and hung the suit in there for 30 minutes and its improved abit. The roped style beautiful shoulders are carnage though.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess i'm lucky in the sense that my dry cleaner is a clothes hound like me, so she takes it very easy on nice clothes.

I made the mistake of trying a difference place (they were better at removing stains), they 'pressed' a pair or pants for me and practically destroyed them. I wanted to go back and them know that putting the press on the highest possible setting probably was a bad idea....but i just went back to the other place instead.

I very rarely dryclean, only if its something impossible to get out on my own, other then that i just brush and steam.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I very rarely dryclean, only if its something impossible to get out on my own, other then that i just brush and steam.

+1

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

+12

i try not to dry clean ever. if i make a stain somewhere i will spot clean it myself.

the wool in your suit only has a limited amount of lanolin or whatever oil it has to give it the bounce back and flexibility.

the more you dry clean the more you lose that natural oil.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send the suit to Madame Paulette in Nyc. I had a similar situation with an Oxxford that they were able to rectify. It is expensive, $50 per suit but the peace of mind is priceless
smile.gif

Originally Posted by gb321123
Hi,

Sent my paul smith travel suit to the dry cleaner for the first time and it came back really dry and hard. It had totally lost its softness and feels like a different suit. I am travelling to a meeting and have just taken it out of the suit bag and it is like a piece of crumpled paper. I have carried it exactly in the same way load of times before dry cleaning it and it came out of the bag near perfect.
Has the dry cleaner ruined my suit?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
+12

i try not to dry clean ever. if i make a stain somewhere i will spot clean it myself.

the wool in your suit only has a limited amount of lanolin or whatever oil it has to give it the bounce back and flexibility.

the more you dry clean the more you lose that natural oil.

+1. I regularly brush, steam, and if needed, spot my suits. That's it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads