• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaner Ruined(?) Shirt - How To Approach

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just went to pick up dry cleaning (1 pair pants dry cleaned, 3 shirts laundered) and they only brought out the pants and 2 shirts. Informed the associate that there was still one more shirt to the order.

She went back and brought out my shirt, but it had a nice stain/mark on the sleeve (looks like rust). She tried to explain it to me, but there was a huge language barrier (think scene from American Psycho). Anyways, she told me it was something they could fix. Just curious, has anyone else had a similar experience? Without actually knowing what that stain is, she did use the word "rust" in explanation, is it plausible it can be corrected? Or is one of my favorite/best fitting shirts ruined?

Of course I will be calling the owner once he is back in store tomorrow morning. As it stands right now, trying to keep my cool.

Annadale

Reaction score
If it is a favourite shirt, shouldn't you be handwashing it yourself? Seems to me it is one of the risks of entrusting goods to a third party for cleaning or repair. I trust you kept the original receipt for the shirt?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Without actually knowing what that stain is, she did use the word "rust" in explanation, is it plausible it can be corrected? Or is one of my favorite/best fitting shirts ruined?

why do you say you don't know what the stain is? she said rust.

what is there to decide? you aren't responsible for removing the stain yourself.

1. don't bother calling.
  2. go back when you are supposed to and pick the shirt up, not earlier.
  3. if there is still a stain when you go back, ask for damage reimbursement. they should have insurance
  4. if you don't trust them, don't give them more business
they are responsible for covering the reasonable value of the shirt. not sentimental value.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
As it stands right now, trying to keep my cool.
Don't get hot under the collar. These things happen. In my instance one of my Nordstrom shirts was ruined and replacement value was provided. I do agree, if the shirt is that important, hand wash at home ....
facepalm.gif

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
If it is a favourite shirt, shouldn't you be handwashing it yourself? Seems to me it is one of the risks of entrusting goods to a third party for cleaning or repair. I trust you kept the original receipt for the shirt?

You're right, there is an inherit risk to trusting goods in the hands of others. Although, by now, after using them on again off again for 9 years, felt confident they could launder a shirt. And would love to launder my own shirts, but would need an extra day or two on top of a 7 day week.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
why do you say you don't know what the stain is? she said rust.

what is there to decide? you aren't responsible for removing the stain yourself.

1. don't bother calling.
  2. go back when you are supposed to and pick the shirt up, not earlier.
  3. if there is still a stain when you go back, ask for damage reimbursement. they should have insurance
  4. if you don't trust them, don't give them more business
they are responsible for covering the reasonable value of the shirt. not sentimental value.

Sorry, guess I didn't clarify, but she said like rustish... I asked how, she began describing dry cleaning to me, and at that point I had to ask why a shirt I asked to be laundered is being dry cleaned instead? Like I said, huge language barrier. Thank you all for your help. Just frustrating during the initial shock. Will see what happens by Monday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads