1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Cleaner pressed my shirts with collar stays in...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 1970cleveland, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 1970cleveland

1970cleveland New Member

I took 2 new Brooks Brothers shirts to get pressed and they did so with the collar stays in, now I have ugly stay imprints visible through the outside on my collar. I tried ironing them out after removing the stays but they are still visible. Has anyone had this issue? I may try washing it then ironing it again. Right now they look horrible, I would not wear them but at the same time I would hate to scrap 2 brand new shirts.

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I took 2 new Brooks Brothers shirts to get pressed and they did so with the collar stays in
    That's because you left the collar stays in. Don't do that anymore. They belong in a little box on your dresser. [​IMG]

They probably still look better than 90% of what other men are wearing.

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

+1 it's not the drycleaner's job to remove them and put them back in for you.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Soak the collars and pull the fabric this way and that to relax the pressed fabric, then iron again.

Never wash or launder shirts with the collar stays in.

5. 1970cleveland

1970cleveland New Member

haha true, it passed through my mind as I dropped them off but assumed they would do it so I was lazy and left them in. I agree it still looks better than what most wear but it drives me nuts to the point that I could not wear it with the stay imprints visible.

6. 1970cleveland

1970cleveland New Member

Soak the collars and pull the fabric this way and that to relax the pressed fabric, then iron again.

Never wash or launder shirts with the collar stays in.

Thanks mac, dumb question but im an ironing rookie, do I wait till it drys to re-iron?

7. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Thanks mac, dumb question but im an ironing rookie, do I wait till it drys to re-iron?
    Yes

8. MrInvariant

MrInvariant Senior member

+1 it's not the drycleaner's job to remove them and put them back in for you.

So every time you remove your collar stays, attach a tag to know which shirt they came from, and reinsert them after the dry cleaning? [​IMG]

9. acecow

acecow Senior member

So every time you remove your collar stays, attach a tag to know which shirt they came from, and reinsert them after the dry cleaning? [​IMG]

If you can't tell which shirt they came from upon inspection, what difference does it make? [​IMG]

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yes and no.

Shirts are best ironed while damp.

My grandmother used to sprinkle a dry shirt with water then leave it overnight in a plastic bag. Then it would be evenly damp.

If you wash at home, you can do almost as well if you let your shirts hang partway dry after washing.

Never a good idea to put shirts in the dryer with any heat setting.

11. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

The best way to salvage your shirts is to remove the collar stays, mist the collar with water and re-iron the collars yourself. Taking them back to the same cleaners is a waste of time. They'll probably return them to you in the same condition you received them in the first time.

But I must disagree with Cant kill da Rooster who believes that it's not the responsibility of the dry cleaner to remove and replace your collar stays. When you drop off or send your shirts to a "professional shirt laundry" your'e entering into a "contract" with the cleaner to use their very best skills to restore your shirts to as close as original condition as possible -- if not better than original condition. Not removing and replacing your collar stays (and, as a result, leaving collar stay impressions) is an abdication of their basic responsibility to restore your shirts to original condition.

I'd go even further: removing and replacing collar stays should be on the list of shirt laundry quality standards at every dry cleaner. So next time you drop off or send your shirts to a "professional shirt laundry" ask them for a written list of their shirt laundry quality standards. Bet you'll find that they don't have a written list. Not only that, but I'd bet you'll find that there are no verbal quality standards either.

Here's an example of a published list of quality standards for shirt laundry: http://ravefabricare.com/true-quali...uality-cleaner's-shirt-laundry-standards.aspx

Daily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  12. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

I took 2 new Brooks Brothers shirts to get pressed and they did so with the collar stays in, now I have ugly stay imprints visible through the outside on my collar. I tried ironing them out after removing the stays but they are still visible. Has anyone had this issue? I may try washing it then ironing it again. Right now they look horrible, I would not wear them but at the same time I would hate to scrap 2 brand new shirts.

Were these metal or plastic stays?
    I have accidentally left plastic stays in before and there was never a problem.

13. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    No. There are only a few different sizes of collar stays. Collect a pair in each size and keep them on your dresser. (I keep mine in a box with my cuff links and tie bars.) When you get dressed in the morning, insert the stays in the collar. When you get undressed in the evening, remove the stays and put 'em back in the box.

14. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

No. There are only a few different sizes of collar stays. Collect a pair in each size and keep them on your dresser. (I keep mine in a box with my cuff links and tie bars.) When you get dressed in the morning, insert the stays in the collar. When you get undressed in the evening, remove the stays and put 'em back in the box.

Use stiff wide spread collars so you won´t need the stays as I do.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This. I've never had a dry cleaners to remove and replace stays.

16. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

stubloom
    are you kidding?

when you are paying $.99-2.50 to have a shirt wahed and pressed, you are lucky to get it back with out unwanted wrinkle in the back of the fused collars and cuffs.
    most basic laundry services don't stretch out the collars and cuffs. and when they break buttons, you are lreally lucky if one, they are replaced, and two, replaced with an extra button from the tail of the shirt, and not some crappy clear plastic button.

removing and replacing collar stays?
    that is a perc, when you are pay $4.50 and up for hand laundry

Carl

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

The best way to salvage your shirts is to remove the collar stays, mist the collar with water and re-iron the collars yourself. Taking them back to the same cleaners is a waste of time. They'll probably return them to you in the same condition you received them in the first time.

But I must disagree with Cant kill da Rooster who believes that it's not the responsibility of the dry cleaner to remove and replace your collar stays.

When you drop off or send your shirts to a "professional shirt laundry" your'e entering into a "contract" with the cleaner to use their very best skills to restore your shirts to as close as original condition as possible -- if not better than original condition.

Not removing and replacing your collar stays (and, as a result, leaving collar stay impressions) is an abdication of their basic responsibility to restore your shirts to original condition. I'd go even further: removing and replacing collar stays should on the list of shirt laundry quality standards at every dry cleaner.

So next time you drop off or send your shirts to a "professional shirt laundry" ask them for a written list of their shirt laundry quality standards. Bet you'll find that they don't have a written list. Not only that, but I'd bet you'll find that there are no verbal quality standards either.

Here's an example of a published list of quality standards for shirt laundry:

http://ravefabricare.com/true-quali...uality-cleaner's-shirt-laundry-standards.aspx

Daily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

Nonsense. Just remove them yourself.

18. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

It may be nonsense but the overwhelming majority of the 50,000+ shirts we launder every year come in with collar stays. I'd have to believe that this experience is fairly consistent across all shirt laundries.

Stu

19. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

OP, I covered this in another thread a while back... just take a q-tip and rub hydrogen peroxide solution on the burned area, followed by lemon juice, then wash in the machine. It worked for me. I was royaly pissed off since I had told the cleaner explicitly to iron "around" the stays to avoid this, but they totally ignored me.

20. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you are using a good quality cleaner, send the shirts with the stays removed and you should get them back with new stays inserted.

After several years of this you can begin selling stays back to the cleaners.