• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Cleaner Pressed Cappelli Tie

Nonchalant

Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth to you.

My experiment in resolving this issue was to slide a wooden dowel rod of a radius complimentary to the width of the tie inside the length of the tie blade centering the edge crease on the dowel. Then I applied an iron to the length pressing out the crease and restoring a rounded edge. I repeated the treatment a few days later after the silk had time to rest. On the particular tie I treated it responded quite well. Sorry, I don't remember the maker of the tie. Some will probably swear that this won't work with a Cappelli tie- and for all I know they may be right. But I throw it out for your collective appraisal.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take this for what it's worth to you.
My experiment in resolving this issue was to slide a wooden dowel rod of a radius complimentary to the width of the tie inside the length of the tie blade centering the edge crease on the dowel. Then I applied an iron to the length pressing out the crease and restoring a rounded edge. I repeated the treatment a few days later after the silk had time to rest. On the particular tie I treated it responded quite well. Sorry, I don't remember the maker of the tie. Some will probably swear that this won't work with a Cappelli tie- and for all I know they may be right. But I throw it out for your collective appraisal.

Sounds interesting.

A FUBAR'ed Cappelli tie sounds like the right test subject.... all these claims of superior silk material and superior construction will now be truly tested.

We shall see

rs232

Reaction score
I don't see why everyone's writing off the tie. Simply unpick the slip stitch and tacks (and the rolled tips, if they're ruined too), press the whole piece of silk flat, and then resew it back together. I've done this a few times on filthy ties that needed cleaning and replacement lining.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't see why everyone's writing off the tie. Simply unpick the slip stitch and tacks (and the rolled tips, if they're ruined too), press the whole piece of silk flat, and then resew it back together. I've done this a few times on filthy ties that needed cleaning and replacement lining.

I don't know what the OP's skill set is like, but I for one don't even hem my own pants, so unfortunately rebuilding a tie is beyond me. However, it would be an interesting process to see.

I will say that I'd like to learn basic sewing techniques and I've considered picking up a machine on the cheap to practice.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jennifer-aniston-gq-tie.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There once were a few ties I was very fond of, for sentimental reasons. As they eventually got dirty, I gave them in for dry-cleaning. Each time I was very disappointed with the result, so had to throw them away anyway. Nowadays, after those early attempts, I save myself the false hope and just buy a nice new tie instead. Ties are essentially disposable items: once they get stained, bin them and treat yourself to a new one. Don't get me wrong, I hate spending money I don't need to, but with ties I think the need is there.

I suppose service like tiecrafters can theoretically clean and effectively remake your tie. But at that stage, wouldn't you just prefer a new one anyway? It's probably not even all that much more, if you take shipping into account. If it's a real sentimental favourite, it's a more understandable service though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads