1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Cleaner marked the tag on my high end shirts..should I complain?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holstein Bilter, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

and all was well in the universe.

Good to hear hb [​IMG]

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I can't believe the stuff I've been reading. Permanent marker and stapled shirts? What happens if someone slips or presses to hard and the ink goes THROUGH the label? I Don't want staples or markers anywhere near my $450 shirts. AIEEEE.

I had a cleaner that would occasionally pin my garments to the hanger. That used to piss me off so I switched. I've gone through a number of cleaners. Last week I found a new one at the suggestion of my tailor. They even pick-up/deliver, which suits me just fine. I gave them a borrelli jacket with a spot of something on it and it came back in pristine condition. I was admittedly worried when I sent it out, but it all worked-out in the end.

3. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

I would be upset with this result as well. I used to wash and iron my shirts until I found a local dry cleaner that specializes in high-end garments and that also has an upper-tier shirt service. No complaints so far. Your cleaner should have pointed out to you beforehand their policy of permanently marking shirts. I remember my mother, when I was a kid, using a permanent marker on my clothing when she sent me off to summer camp. Is this policy posted in plain view? [My dry cleaner uses a tag that they staple through one of the button holes of my shirts to identify them as mine.] Although I take issue with your suggestion that you could return your shirts from where you purchased them after they had been washed and worn, without a doubt your garments have been defaced by this cleaner. If you were not given notice of this policy to allow your cleaner to write on your clothing, you are within your rights to take issue with them for what they did. However, in this regard you should also weigh in the balance whether you would lose any needed goodwill with your dry cleaner by taking them to task in this regard. Perhaps you can get your point across equally as well by showing them your receipts for those shirts.

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

5. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I can't believe the stuff I've been reading. Permanent marker and stapled shirts? What happens if someone slips or presses to hard and the ink goes THROUGH the label? I Don't want staples or markers anywhere near my $450 shirts. AIEEEE.

wow you got $450 to spend on a shirt and you wanna spend $2-$4 to clean it. [​IMG]

6. Holstein Bilter

Holstein Bilter Senior member

A Happy Ending to this.

I spoke with the owner of the Dry Cleaner and she was unaware that the morning
    person and marked my shirts.

She quickly apologized and offered to clean my shirts for free.

Luckily after the cleaning, the tags are spotless and show no signs of the
    markings.

All is well, and I'll be happy to go back to this cleaners.

7. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    It's mainly the principal of it.

Just becasue you're upset doesn't mean you can use the wrong word. It's the princiPLE, not the principal.

I think you're making a big big deal out of nothing.

8. Holstein Bilter

Just becasue you're upset doesn't mean you can use the wrong word. It's the princiPLE, not the principal.

Almost as much as making a big deal about a TYPO?

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

wow you got $450 to spend on a shirt and you wanna spend $2-$4 to clean it. [​IMG]

Where did that come from??

I'd never put them through the abuse of a commercial laundry unless they had a really tough stain that I didn't think I could get out on my own. I wash them on a delicate cycle in cold water and air-dry them.

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

A Happy Ending to this.

I spoke with the owner of the Dry Cleaner and she was unaware that the morning
    person and marked my shirts.

She quickly apologized and offered to clean my shirts for free.

Luckily after the cleaning, the tags are spotless and show no signs of the
    markings.

All is well, and I'll be happy to go back to this cleaners.

Congrats!

11. Holstein Bilter

Congrats!

What was funny KitonBrioni, is that the owner was more willing to help me when I showed her my BergdorfGoodman pricetags =)

12. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

I wondered what the hubbub was when this thread began expanding two weeks ago, but not to the point that I bothered to read it.

Now that I have read it, two weeks hence, I still don't get the hubbub.

As I was reading it, I got the same gist of the story odoreater did. Ut did seem strange that you were upset you wouldn't be able to give it to your father. Still seems strange that you couldn't explain to your father (as you explained to the entire cyber world) what happened to the "new" shirt you were giving him.

To be honest, I kind of like the "old school" treatment of handwriting initials rather than the computer printed slips through the buttonholes. Adds a little personalization to the process.

Glad to hear all is well with you, your shirts, and your cleaners.

13. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I created a thread similar to yours a while back. While it was a Banana Republic jacket and not something as expensive as your shirts, I was really mad at what this dry cleaner did. He took the printout sheet and stapled it into the tag of the jacket. When I got it back, I was extremely upset. I asked why they did this and they said it was procedure to ensure that they know who this jacket belong to. I learned a lesson and never went back to them. The only reason why I considered them in the first place was because it's cheap and close to my house. From that day on, I went back to the first place that I always go to. Someone from this forum gave me this advice: "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

14. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

It is very much a big deal. Even if he doesn't intend to sell the shirts or give it away, it's the fact that the person did something without the permission of the customer. I would be extremely pissed off if someone did something that they didn't asked me. Even then it would be annoying to see some weird markings on the shirts even if you can't see it from the outside.