• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry cleaner issue: need opinions.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
We recently moved and have been using a new dry cleaner. He's pretty good and the clothes come back nice. However, twice now he's forgotten to give us some clothing back. The first time it was my wife's pants. They were returned after we asked him about them. Today, I picked up some dry cleaning and an expensive sweater is missing, replaced by a different sweater. The sweater is my wife's, and the one he replaced it with doesn't look anything like it (so it's not a case of mistaken identity of the sweaters). I truly hope he hasn't given her sweater to someone else.
frown.gif

If he has, what should we do? It's my wife's favorite sweater.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you are going to go back and ask him about it.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Hopefully you are going to go back and ask him about it.
Well yes, of course. If he has given it to someone else, and it isn't back within, say, a weeks time, is it inappropriate to ask for him to pay for a replacement?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should keep the sweater he gave you and ask them to pay you some cash.
Haven't you watched Curb Your Enthusiasm? It is unwritten dry cleaners law.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter how this is resolved, don't ever use them for your cleaning again.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't get it back than yes you should ask for the money and don't use them anymore.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered how one resolves such issues... I use my drycleaner quite frequently, and rarely, if ever, keep my receipts. I really should be a bit more careful.

However, in regards to your question, I see no reason why they should not have to pay you back in full, if they did lose your sweater that is.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
No matter how this is resolved, don't ever use them for your cleaning again.
+1. You haven't lived there long and this has happened twice now. I hope your wife gets her sweater, and I'd trust you're looking for a new cleaners.

DandySF

Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to find a new cleaner. I've used each of these and they do very good work. They pick up and deliver in San Francisco, where I believe you're located. I've lately been using Alex's, but Peninou was always good.

http://www.alexdryclean.com/

http://peninou.com/

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents own a dry cleaners...and this does happen to them from time to time. Mistakes happen and my parents will do what they can to make the customer happy.
Most customers are regulars, who's been coming to them for years and years. Whenever its happened, the customers didnt mind and were willing to wait to see if the item got found...and more often than not, it would be found in a week or so. The few times that it was completely lost, my parents would just tell them to go buy a comparable item and bring him the receipt and my dad would give them cash. And they are known in the area as one of the best cleaners so people keep coming back.

Anyhow, talk to the owner. If he gives you ****, then seek a new cleaners.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can print this article out and show it to your drycleaner. That oughta get your wife's sweater back. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18471265/ (Of course, I'm ******* kidding. The owners of this drycleaner, even though they had won the suit, closed it down because the legal fees bankrupted them.)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ergo, now is the time to consider monograms.... even though a lot of our brethrens here dislike this gaudy practice.

matt22616

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
I have always wondered how one resolves such issues... I use my drycleaner quite frequently, and rarely, if ever, keep my receipts. I really should be a bit more careful.

However, in regards to your question, I see no reason why they should not have to pay you back in full, if they did lose your sweater that is.

Umm. Because they don't have to? Seriously, there's a reason dry cleaners scenarios are among law professor's top hypos. You're best bet is to be very polite, inquire into their policies, and then give it a week or so. It goes without saying that you should never entrust them with any more of your property. Before you enter into another business relationship, however, I would introduce yourself and preface with something like, 'I'm new in town and looking for a dry cleaner's. I've heard good things about you (bullshit) and was interested to know your policies. I hope to start a relationship.' The subtext, of course, 'don't **** up because I'm giving you the only good reason not to. Money.'

Upon moving to the city in which I now live I used several online resources such as Yelp and Angieslist to determine which dry cleaners was the held in the highest regard. It just so happened that this cleaners was also the oldest in the city. Usually indicative of good policies. They're expensive and it takes forever. It goes without saying that the quality of the work is stellar. More importantly, I retain the most expensive commodity. Trust.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
We recently moved and have been using a new dry cleaner. He's pretty good and the clothes come back nice. However, twice now he's forgotten to give us some clothing back. The first time it was my wife's pants. They were returned after we asked him about them. Today, I picked up some dry cleaning and an expensive sweater is missing, replaced by a different sweater. The sweater is my wife's, and the one he replaced it with doesn't look anything like it (so it's not a case of mistaken identity of the sweaters). I truly hope he hasn't given her sweater to someone else.
frown.gif

If he has, what should we do? It's my wife's favorite sweater.

maybe he has a real doll at home in your wifes likeness and now hes dressed it up, just dont take her panties there for a wash

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads