Dry clean before alterations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by coachvu, Apr 23, 2006.

1. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

On my latest trip to Marshall's, I found the perfect pair of pale blue Polo corduroys (made in Italy). I need to have the waist taken in as well as the legs hemmed. Should I dry clean these first to shrink them a bit before the alterations?

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yes. The clean/press can shrink things slightly.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Bump for more opinions. I have two pairs of moleskin pants and one pair of wool slacks that need to be hemmed. They are all labeled dry clean only. Should I take them to the dry cleaners before alterations to account for shrinkage?

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Well color me ignorant, but I've never drycleaned in advance of alterations, and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I have never had a problem with things that need dry cleaning. It isn't a bad idea though, to be safe. If something is washable, I certainly wash them first.

6. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Bump for more opinions. I have two pairs of moleskin pants and one pair of wool slacks that need to be hemmed. They are all labeled dry clean only. Should I take them to the dry cleaners before alterations to account for shrinkage?

For cotton pants, I'd say yes. I wouldn't for wool pants.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

My experience has been the same as Vintage Gent's. As coach and tiecollector suggest, it might make sense with cotton clothing or other things you're likely to wash with some regularity. With wool (or moleskin, even though it's technically cotton) I try to avoid drycleaning unless absolutely necessary, so I wouldn't do so before alterations. I've never noticed any appreciable shrinkage from drycleaning.