• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Clean a Tie?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got a stain on one of my silk ties and did not want to apply soda water because I've only had negative experiences using soda water to "get a stain out." From what I've seen w/soda water is that on silk it only spreads the stain is actually does more damage than help.

Anyways, the tie says "dry clean only." Has anyone ever dry cleaned a tie, if so will it help remove the stain?

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I have had several silk ties dry cleaned.
They have all come back perfect....and that is from a discount dry cleaners that charges only $1.99!

Make sure you confirm with your dry cleaners that thay are adept at dry cleaning ties.
The first tie you give them should be a "test" tie, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not dry clean a tie. It destroys the "body" of a tie. If it's a favorite, take it to Tie Crafters. Well worth it.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Do not dry clean a tie. It destroys the "body" of a tie.

If it's a favorite, take it to Tie Crafters. Well worth it.

In that case I loose.... I love the tie... It gets a lot of compliments.

level32

Reaction score
+1 on Tiecrafters. If you go to standard dry cleaners with your tie you will most likely not be happy when you get it back.

Of course it also depends on how nice the tie was beforehand.

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Do not dry clean a tie. It destroys the "body" of a tie. If it's a favorite, take it to Tie Crafters. Well worth it.
+1, learned that one the hard way...

amadar

Reaction score
It should be ok - just make sure they don't press the tie.

The first time I took a tie to the dry cleaners, it came back ruined because they had pressed it after cleaning (the tie was much flatter, and the silk had an added sheen that was very noticeable)
ffffuuuu.gif

The second time I brought a tie to the same dry cleaner (I really like them).....I specifically stated that I did not want the tie pressed. (to which the cleaner replied "but thats how we get the wrinkles out after we clean it?") I told them to clean the tie, and then do whatever they could to unwrinkle the tie without applying direct heat or pressing. Tie came out perfect.

naatkins

Reaction score
There's a really good professional dry cleaner where I go for all my cleaning, and they do great work. Just make sure it's not some discount place, check reviews on it, etc.

Not to mention the ties I've had cleaned there have only been my work ties, I'm a manager at a Chick-fil-A and we have to wear company ties (dreadful 3.5" tacky ties, I know) but they are silk, and have had everything from peanut oil to milkshake splatter, and they have come out just fine.

stubloom

Reaction score

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is bad bad news. Why did I have to spill a cocktail on my tie!!!I dont want to pay $20 (shipping included) to get the tie cleaned.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
This is bad bad news. Why did I have to spill a cocktail on my tie!!!I dont want to pay $20 (shipping included) to get the tie cleaned.

Like I said, it depends on how much you enjoy your tie.

If it's a favorite, sending it to Tie Crafters isn't particularly expensive (it's the cost of breakfast at IHOP). If it's not, just move on.

You can search the forum for other threads on this topic (I remember someone suggesting Oxyclean). But chances are, they will damage your tie.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dry cleaned and had no issues...

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found very few discussions in life that have as universal agreement as Tie Crafters being the very best option for cleaning a tie and not damaging (generally by pressing too much at a cleaners) it in any way. I once spilled white out on a favorite tie and they got it out without issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads