• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drug Usage?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**Edit** The last two questions should read "I use 1-2 drugs from this list" and "I use 3+ drugs from this list", respectably. **Edit**

I'm writing a paper, and I'd like to get some real world data. This is an anonymous poll due to the somewhat sensitive nature of the topic, so feel free to not make any additional comments if you do not feel comfortable. However, there is no problem if you want to post anything regarding this.

Also, any comments or replies from posters in Canada or Amsterdam, feel free to add.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, I think you need a new category for me. "I have tried all the drugs on this list multple times."

Seriously, not that I'm proud of it, and it's been years, but hell, when I was growing up and in h.s. and college, life consisted of looking for a new way to get wasted every weekend. And everyone I grew up with was like that. I thought most kids in the '70s and '80s were like that.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how real world the survey would be. Don't remember too much about statistics, but wouldn't it be a no no to have a survey done that is primarily answered by all men. I'm sure there are other things the people in this forum share that don't make them representative of a normal population. And, the sample size seems too small as well.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've tried at least one from each category several times. my memory of things from the age of 17 to about 23 is a blurry hazy mess.
lookaround.gif
but i'm pretty sure i had a good time.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how real world the survey would be. Don't remember too much about statistics, but wouldn't it be a no no to have a survey done that is primarily answered by all men. I'm sure there are other things the people in this forum share that don't make them representative of a normal population. And, the sample size seems too small as well.
Well, it is representive in the sense that I'm not looking to capture the entire population. My target sample is men from middle to upper classes in professional careers.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow... this is actually sort of interesting. The poll breaks down exactly like I would predict. About a third have done some serious experimenting with drugs, about a third has done none, and about a third have smoked some pot, but thats about it.

I think this is an accurate representation of the people that I know.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, I think you need a new category for me. "I have tried all the drugs on this list multple times."

Seriously, not that I'm proud of it, and it's been years, but hell, when I was growing up and in h.s. and college, life consisted of looking for a new way to get wasted every weekend. And everyone I grew up with was like that. I thought most kids in the '70s and '80s were like that.
I realized I should have added this category after I posted the poll.

Nothing wrong with trying substances, as long as you research and are aware of the effects and respect the drug. And always make yourself in control, do not let the drug control you.

As Hunter S. Thompson said:
"You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye"

and

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... this is actually sort of interesting. The poll breaks down exactly like I would predict. About a third have done some serious experimenting with drugs, about a third has done none, and about a third have smoked some pot, but thats about it.

I wish that there was a feature where you could select multiple responses, because most of the middle choices won't get any hits. It's unusual for someone to skip right to a harder substance.

If people would be able to post responses annonymously, that would be the best, but I don't think it's possible.

Anyway, yes, it has turned out to be pretty interesting.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likewise. I find that people who have done more experimenting are a lot more easy-going and I tend to hang out with them frequently. They always put things into perspective for me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
V-man, I am sure there's a site that has a better polling system. You might check into that if you want some better info. I seem to remember an Italian guy directing us to a site to do some surveys for him...? And my answer, of course, was, uh... provided.
smile.gif
I don't do drugs anymore. They make me boring and dumb.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, does anybody know why crack cocaine was not as popular in the 90s as it was in the 80s? Did people simply move onto a different drug?

I remember there was a concerted effort by all parties to emphasize how bad drugs were in the 80s. Yet, you really didn't see these messsages anymore in the 90s, perhaps because society was more comfortable with people taking ectasy rather than crack cocaine. There aren't any more television shows today with that special episode about morality, which may or may not be a good thing. Was anybody really creeped out when they had that pedophillia episode on Different Strokes? Looking back, I'm really shocked they could get away with airing an episode like that. Did Arnold's friend actually get molested in that episode?

marc37

Reaction score
l used to smoke heeps of pot, LSD, magic mushrooms in my uni days. l had the best time out. l've also swollowed heaps of sleeping tablets with a bottle of whiskey , it used to give me a buzz. l also used to love smoking herion. l used to love injecting meth, speed and cocaine. Cocaine was always good for sexual romps. l love bondage while on meth. l used to love my drugs, especially my pot. On week-ends l used to have pot, beer and sleeping pills. On other week-ends l would inject meth, take XTC, smoke pot and drink heeps of beer. l always knew how to party. l would party hard. l don't have drugs these days. Â am a health fanatic these days. l was in a drug and alcohol haze for 10 years.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I thought that drug use had pretty much died out, since I read in an old issue of _The Onion_ that Nancy Reagan pretty much put an end to the problem with her guest appearance on _Different Strokes_.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friends and I lived the 70s with two mottos: The only good buzz is a really, really big buzz. and If you're going to go down, you might just as well go down in a great big ball of flames. Probably lucky any of us got out alive.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
l don't have drugs these days. am a health fanatic these days. l was in a drug and alcohol haze for 10 years.
Since you seem to be very health and nature-oriented, how do you feel about substances that come straight from the earth without any chemical modification? I'm talking about marijuana mostly, but also mushrooms and morning glory, etc. I've heard many people that are into the natural health scene use these while in meditation or relaxation states to jump to another 'spiritual level'. I definitely feel that marijuana and it's effects are much better for your mind body and spirit than alcohol and it's effects.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads